China continues to throw shapes

And Ukraine and what they did in The Crimea.

It doesn’t mean that ordinary folk can’t see what Netanyahu is up to and how is avoiding justice.

But countries are not influenced by outside pressures, they have to change from within.
There are many Israelis who want change, but extremist politicians are hard to shift.
Other countries should take note.

And in every country a combination of extremists who always go and vote, several times if possible; normal people of whatever persuasion who aren’t extremists who go and vote; and flabby-minded lumps who don’t bother voting.
I blame the fmls most.

2 Likes

I think the pressure, whether from outside or within is always useful.

1 Like

Pressure from outside tends to unite the country behind the regime. e.g. Cuba, N. Korea.
People will put up with a lot if they feel under attack by an external enemy. There are many examples of politicians using exaggerated or non-existent threats to strengthen their grip on power, right now.

A very enlightening article. We already know these things, but Norman Baker’s personal experience brings it home.
1 Like

Absolutely right!
They don’t launch drone attacks against perceived enemies and also endanger civilians in countries they are not at war with.
They do not assassinate defectors using exotic poisonous substances that also endanger civilians in countries they are not at war with.
We need to clean our own houses before we criticise others. Then we should refuse to trade with any country that does not observe fundamental human rights, regardless of the damage it might do to our own economy. That’s morality. . . .

China assassinates its own people.

So does any country that has capital punishment.

If you are such an admirer why don’t you go and live there?

Oh dear! I never said I was such an admirer. But there are many other countries that do bad things. And lots that I would not want to live in.

And I regret to have to say that I am offended by your misinterpretation of what I have said.

I am sorry if you found my replies offensive, but defending China knowing full well how it works I find very strange.
The USA, to whom I think you must be referring, or perhaps North Korea as well, is no shining example for democracy.

Why? Mike has already explained

(Please see post below)

3 Likes
1 Like

No I don’t full well know how it works and I don’t expect you do either, but I try to understand.

Yes I was referring to the USA and actually Russia and I could also have added the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, to name but a few.

Of all the countries in the world, China is the most likely to come out best in a global nuclear war, so I think there is a good case for diplomacy rather than encouraging hatred by only emphasising their wrongdoings.
China was on our side in WW2. Twenty million of their citizens died. Maybe that is worth mentioning!

2 Likes

They weren’t on the “side” of the Japanese, the enemy of my enemy is my ally (just like Russia WW2 era)

2 Likes

The Soviet Union lost a staggering 24 million. From their perspective, they won the war in Europe with a little help from us. . . . .

2 Likes

Interesting to take in the Chinese government’s perspective

1 Like

I think that response is flabby and scraping the bottom of a nasty stinky barrel, Jane. You can and usually do better. Is the heat getting to you?

1 Like