China continues to throw shapes

China is lethally dangerous and to view any of their actions as ‘only trying to’ is as a minimum naive.
China is going for (ultimately) world domination. Through military means, economic means and indebtedness means. No question that Taiwan will be next. What will the world do? My guess is nothing so encouraging China to do what the hell it likes where the hell it likes.

3 Likes

We can do our bit by buying from Taiwan instead of China.

There is news of an International Alliance Against China because of its stance on Hong Kong. and those who ask for an enquiry into the cause of the Covid Pandemic.
I heard IDS actually speaking sense, as he reasoned that China is picking off individual countries and the world needs to stand together to show China that its behaviour against its own minorities and Hong Kong is not acceptable to the rest of the world.

I really do find that difficult to believe.

If I hadn’t been in my bed, I probably would have fallen down.

1 Like

Despite Raab’s surprisingly laudable sabre rattling against the Chinese regime’s actions in Hong Kong, the UK will comply with China’s wishes in order to get a trade deal. Just as they are in the process of doing with the US and in due course will do with India, Australia, etc. all the way down to Liberia. I thought Liam (air-miles) Fox was a disaster but Liz Truss, St. Trinian’s answer to trade negotiation, will be even worse at protecting British citizens’ interests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRhlRM6rYck

I havent seen any reference on here to the activities of Michel Barnier and the French govt in funding the lab in Wuhan ?

I suggest that no industrial nation would launch a nuclear attack. A nuclear attack contaminates with a half life in years. The natural resources / wealth of the attacked country are removed. The oppressor can neither exploit those resources nor has it a market to buy it’s products. A chemical/biological attack could have a half life of days. China might not have an army globally dispersed. But, rather has global economic ownership, and particularly in the media/electronic sector that is a vital part of the “ordinary” man (i.e. you and I ) budget. There are many examples of China’s “do not autonomous” philosophy and yet according to China: the UK MUST allow China to participate in the latest nuclear power station (to be built and managed by EDF), the world must allow Huawai to have a roll in the 5G roll out.
Look at https://aqicn.org/map/world that shows air quality across the globe. Look also at https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countriespublishescovid-19 that publishes covid-19 statistics. Are all nations categorising by the same definition? Take https://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2020/04/10/report-chinas-coronavirus-data-off-millions-cases/ as asking questions rather than reporting verifiable evidence.
Are China’s reported media contributions to manage / subdue their own peoples? Or to soften / distract the west’s perception of what is happening in China, understanding it global ambitions.
Capitalism is not perfect. But, the last three months in the UK have provided many examples of small business adapting to the pandemic. Large corporations are slow to respond. Levi Jeans are a classic example, Marks & Spencers, Debenhams, British Home Stores are UK high street examples. But small local businesses have quickly adapted, not just for self-survival but imprtantly, for the benefit of the local community in self-isolation.
I can only urge, as I have in earlier contributions that we ask: what is the pontificat’s agenda, who can we verify the information. Tony Benn summed up accountability in five questions
"What power have you got?
"Where did you get it from?
"In whose interests do you use it?
"To whom are you accountable?
“How do we get rid of you?”
“Anyone who cannot answer the last of those questions does not live in a democratic system.”

2 Likes

Any sources for that I can peruse?

Answering on behalf of the current UK and US administration

Everything
Lies and deceit
Our own
No-one
You can’t

Maybe, just maybe, the last will prove untrue for Trump in November - but don’t put money on it.

1 Like

Another abomination from China to add to the very long list. Are there no depths to which China will not sink? This reminds me of Nazi Germany in the 1930’s. Truly horrific.
Those of you on here who are pro-China, please lets have your defense of this.

3 Likes

UK not far behind.

Why am I the only one replying here?
This brave woman is telling us all her story and that of her people. You are right Izzy, one can only compare this to Nazi Germany.
Russia is carrying out extra-territorial killings, wu know this because of Salisbury. It now appears that the killers were told to leave the novochuk behind. A miracle that many more did not die.
Totalitarian states are anathma to all decent thinking people and Peter Goble, please don’t start talking to me about Saudia Arabia again. I know it is an autocracy, but Russia is a member of the UN Security Council and is a supporter of the Syrian regime. How would you like it if you were barrel bombed?

2 Likes

Quite right Jane, China is behaving rather badly at the moment, but I think it is a mistake to assume that this is the only country to treat it’s citizens (or animals) badly.
Throughout history, people who are powerless and different have been cruelly misused. From an European point of view, this seems like unacceptable savagery, but the truth is that it is just the world as it always was. We are the ones that are exceptional and the freedom and justice that we enjoy has only existed for the last 75 years. The rest of the world has a bit of catching up to do.
But what we have achieved is a fragile thing and we must teach our own people to treasure it, so that we can continue to set an example for others to follow.

2 Likes

OK I won’t. :hugs::innocent:

There is going to be a huge amount of homeless people yet again in the western world because of unemployment caused by Covid. How are we all going to face this?

Not denying the barbarity of the rest of the world but saying we set a shining example is a little blinkered. Half the world is in flames and a state of perpetual war thanks to the actions of Western governments. Iraq, Libya, DRC to name but a few.

2 Likes

By voting for the politicians who genuinely see it as a No. 1 priority.

Do you still have a vote?

Not saying we are perfect, but I would not wish to live in any other place, or at any other time in the history of the world. But there are challenges ahead and we must tackle them wisely.

1 Like