Choucroute?

I always used to buy sauerkraut in the UK for the benefits to the gut, but have really struggled to find it here in France, but then I saw choucroute cabbage and wondered if that was in fact the same, just named differently as in France.

Would love to get some input to confirm if it is indeed the same, or not :grin:

Sauerkraut is just cabbage fermented with salt and herbs/spices. An Alsacien choucroute includes wine, but otherwise also fermented cabbage.

1 Like

Ok thanks, so Iā€™ll see if I can find it without the wine :+1: to hopefully get the same health benefits :+1:

Make it yourself? Takes 3-4 weeks to ferment unlike Kimchi that takes 48 hours. A lot of the shop bought is pasturised and therefore devoid of the culture you bought it for.

2 Likes

Yes I thought about that actually, but didnā€™t really trust myself to not end up poisoning myself :thinking:

Some delis, or traiteurs, might sell it freshly made, but the closer you are to the Alsace, the better I imagineā€¦

1 Like

The brasserie in our nearest town is advertising its special St Patrickā€™s Day menu ofā€¦ choucroute!

3 Likes

Itā€™s ā€œchoucrouteā€ time of yearā€¦ :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
recipes do varyā€¦
A Bergerac pal will be dishing up her own recipe next weekendā€¦ absolutely deliciousā€¦ (just hoping we can get there as OH is not 100% at the moment)

1 Like

I have been making my own for more than 2 years now and no issues. The salt stops the problems I believe. I made kimchi as I had left over veg from the coleslaw, added a bit of chilli to be a bit more authentic and to my and wifes surprise it was delicious and only 48 hours in a warm spot required.

2 Likes

Well thatā€™s some encouragement thanks - Iā€™ll have a bit of a study and see if I feel up to it, as would certainly be alot more convenientšŸ‘

Plenty of good folk on Youtube, thats where I learnt. :+1:

Our Leclerc sells it in winter on their deli counter - two bowls, one cooked, the other raw. Itā€™s very much a seasonal thing - disappears in summer.

2 Likes

Washed down with a bock of good olā€™ traditional Irish Leffe 0.0 mnom!

1 Like

Unless you eat it raw, cooking pasteurizes it too.
In my hometown, we like to add a little goosefat and a roughly chopped apple to cook the sauerkrautā€¦

Yes I eat it raw, each to their own of course but fermented and live for gut health.