Christmas Countdown 2019

I send emails to my nearest & dearest, (whether they like it, or not)
Cards are a waste of time, energy & money, IMO, so I don’t bother.
None of my family ‘do’ presents, as such.

Our grandson is the only one who gets a Christmas Present these days…

OH and I have far too much stuff already (starting to move it on now) … and we prefer to treat ourselves (and friends/family) to a little something edible/drinkable throughout the year.

I’ve left things very late and gave myself too much to do, as usual.
It’s our first Christmas here and our eldest daughter is coming over with her husband from Monday until 27th! I’m rather excited as she’s not spent Christmas with us in 7 years due to work and in-law commitments!
I decided to knit cardigans for two granddaughters in Ukraine for Christmas Day, forgetting I’m a slow knitter and don’t enjoy it. Neither are finished yet and I’ve missed last post to uk so they’ll go back with eldest to hand over - along with the two quilts I’ve yet to start for them!!!
I’ve got to stitch a back onto the tapestry I’ve made for mother in law to make a cushion.
Need to finish a cross stitch for father in law and buy brother in laws present - we will also send these back with eldest along with the scarf, hat and Christmas stocking for brother in laws family!
Ordered presents for three daughters last night and mine from hubby - they might make it here in time for Christmas!
We have invited the only other English person in the village for Christmas Day, else she would be spending it alone. This wouldn’t have been at all nice for her as it’s also her 69th birthday on Christmas Day!

Who else gives themselves too much to do and too little time to complete it?
(Add to the above all of the paperwork we are swamped with sorting carte vitales, registering us company as an employer here and getting our ME businesses off the ground!)

2 Likes

Regularly as well as working more or less full time and volunteering

2 Likes

We make our own cards and enjoy sending them, only about 20 of them now so only for people who seem to appreciate them, plus a few meilleurs voeux for French friends. . E-cards for me you might as well not bother as I really don’t get the point of receiving another email even if it has a pretty picture. I encourage people not to bother, and equally don’t bother telling me that you are giving to charity rather than sending a card that’s between you and the charity, and is a bit superior to mention it. Send an email sure, but with something personal not a commercial image, and individual messages.

1 Like

I forget which one of our friends/family started the charity thingy … but we discuss which one we are backing each year…family and friends have their favourites and we encourage each other to support wherever one can… nothing superior about it… … simply an effort to encourage doing some good with whatever money one has/can afford. :zipper_mouth_face:

Incidentally, aged about 6, our grandson asked us not to buy him a birthday present, but rather pay money to some WWF thingy - helping gorillas as I recall… another year it was leopards… (David Bellamy and David Attenborough are amongst his heroes) - He still likes to get a birthday and Christmas card though… :hugs: and his Christmas present is small but thoughtfully chosen…but not expensive…

Oh dear… Leclerc are doing a special-offer: 13/14/15 December - pay by cheque which will not be cashed until 5th February 2020 … :zipper_mouth_face:

I dread to think how many folk will be tempted to overspend on Seasonal Goodies…

I reckon other Supermarkets/Chains will have similar offers…

2020 might well become a ghastly financial nightmare for some.

I usually make Christmas cards but this year I am currently in the UK (packing boxes to move properly at last) and have a paper and pen but no scanner, no cutting board or scalpel and no time! I did let people know last year that I wouldnt be sending many, and so far have had far more interesting news about peoples lives via email!

I send one Christmas Card to my parents I sometimes draw or paint it.
Hey have a look at the visual alphabet tread it may bring back a few memories of Sandwich

2 Likes

Aw - but lovely thoughtful gifts! X

1 Like

I still do cards - I love getting them too .

And everybody that I send a card to here in France absolutely loves it!

2 Likes

I did one for my neighbours last year and they were delighted. I will find time to make a few next week.

I’m going to be in sandwich tomorrow!

2 Likes

Two more batches of mincemeat slice carefully settled in the freezer today.

Next baking session, this weekend, will be Delia’s Fallen Chocolate Soufflé and Mary Berry’s Celebration Cake… both freeze well thank goodness… and will enable me to be stress-free and still give our neighbours a good Chocolate Fix when they visit us over the holiday period… :hugs:

This is just for you - drawn by my SIL as a card a few years ago. I know she wont mind me sharing it,

3 Likes

Wow just for me ! Thank you :blush: :heart:

Christmas countdown is following the usual routine (sadly). OH is ill in bed - happens every Winter - but hoping this bout will not have us making the customary hospital dash… :upside_down_face:

This morning, in between ensuring he is comfy… I’ve been rescuing the outdoor decorations from the puddles… and rounding up the empty plastic plant pots we had carefully stacked in a lost corner of the terrace… (the wind has dispersed them up and down the street… ) :crazy_face:

Or how long it will take at the check-out.

I will make a brawn with sauce gribiche for my friend who is 93.

to be fair to my SIL she has just posted it as her facebook cover picture! However Ive just done something that Ill post on SF for everyone.