Christmas dinner

I’ve spent loads of today cooking. Nut roast all done (took ages, SO glad I didn’t try it tomorrow), Christmas red cabbage on the wood burner, some veg prepped so I’m.very happy to be more organised than usual!
Wondering if I should take the jamboneau out of the sousvide to allow the skin to dry a bit?

We are having smoked salmon blinis and a few nibbles for starter then the ham, a poularde (never heard of it, had to look it up in the shop as they were out if chicken :rofl: beef tounados for dh as he doesn’t really like chicken and ham not at all (we usually have beef Wellington but he is now gluten free and not experimented with gf pastry yet!) And the yummy nut roast plus all the usual veg. Pudding is chocolate moelleux for the boys and hopefully a gf quick pudding (using mincemeat) for us. Prosecco in the fridge! Oops just realised I wanted to make the brandy butter today but still have wrapping to do.

What are you all having?

@Stella I hope you are OK and just busy cooking as not seen much of you.

5 Likes

We tend to eschew turkey - don’t mind it on the day, and am quite partial to a bit cold but not for the rest of the bloomin’ week.

We had a crown last year which was quite a nice amount. Enough for Xmas day and a cold platter but it got finished before we were fed up with it.

Duck this year - more my son’s choice than my wife’s.

Lamb for boxing day.

4 Likes

Honey gammon, beef roast and a 4 bird and stuffing roast (not entirely successfully tied together :yum:) are all cooked and ready, made our own Mexicorn with corn and red peppers from the garden.
A pot of minestrone soup made, Brussel sprouts, roast veg and potatoes from the garden as well will be done tomorrow, trifle for me and chocolate, cointreau & cherry gateau for the rest made this afternoon, time to sit and watch football now.

3 Likes

Where did you get it? We were discussing these yesterday saying we missed them.

1 Like

Today.
Glass of local Crémant with a dash of homemade blackberry liqueur in mine. Foie gras then, Oysters followed by scallops cooked in butter and olive oil finished off with lemon juice, fresh cut lettuce from the garden, a glass of Petit Chablis. Snails then cheese glass of Santenay 1er Cru, cake from Mrs. W favorite bakery. :cupcake:

5 Likes

I bring them over from the UK a dozen at a time :wink:, it’s in the topic.

1 Like

Poached egg on sourdough toast with roasted tomatoes :yum:

4 Likes

Tonight was an aperitif with our own elderflower gin as a treat (we rarely drink spirits) followed by sourdough pizza with courgette, goats cheese, olives and pesto topping. Salad from garden.

Tomorrow will be nut-roast with the full works, and Christmas pudding made by French friend as a tradition where she came from by Bethune. Tastes near identical!! Hopefully can facetime with christmas lunch in London so get to see a turkey even if not taste it :grinning:

6 Likes

Ahem… do you encounter any… erm… administrative problems in the course of transport of those items?

1 Like

The last time someone bothered to check the cooler boxes he laughed and said we were making him hungry, they have never been bothered, we brought Lorne sausage, bacon, haggis and tattie scones back the last time as well

3 Likes

Turkey crown, pigs in blankets, stuffing, yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, sprouts, carrots and, bizarrely, runner beans. Followed by christmas pudding with a choice of cream, custard or brandy butter.

Then the King’s speech at 3pm and games for anyone who’s not asleep.

My family is full on traditional.

2 Likes

I highly doubt anyone will be awake after enduring old sausage fingers wittering on at 3. That man’s like human melatonin.

1 Like

Today we had a gammon ham cooked in ginger beer, roasties and veg, Christmas pudding & custard with my brother & his family. Tomorrow it’s just the 2 of us, and I’m doing cheese fondue followed by more Christmas pud & ice cream. I think there’s a bottle of gewurztraminer on the rack to go with it.

2 Likes

Bless you :yum:

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Very nice, but the thread’s about Christmas dinner, not breakfast!

After aperitif, Scottish salmon followed by fois gras with local baguette then roast chapon with saute potatoes and cepes mushrooms with a selection of cheeses to follow, rounded off with a bouche and fruit. All washed down with numerous glasses of white and red wine, dependent upon the course being served :yum: :yum:

Just me, Flo and her mum this year - prodigal son will join us on the 29th, along with my brother-in-law. Flo’s father is now in a dementia care unit so we will take his presents and some bouche when we visit tomorrow afternoon.

2 Likes

grrrr

jealous

1 Like

Out at friends for xmas dinner so not sure probably Turkey and ham, but tonight been at french friends, but came away at 01.00 before desert was served, told host to late for a heavy pud, and i was prepping bread for tomorrow, nearly 02.00 and just got dough in fridge ready for baking tomorrow, all the best everyone enojoy what ever you are having.

3 Likes

@toryroo

All is well. computer is broken which limits my funtime online. typing on a tiny phone is not easy… :wink:

merry christmas to one and all…

7 Likes