Chronopost / DPD demanding for import duty

But they were almost all lies.

I mean, Bernie Madoff had some very persuasive arguments but, ultimately, he was just out to defraud people.

Sorry, this is a bit nonsensical, if ordering from the UK is hard and expensive people are just not going to bother. No one in France is going to spend their own money specifically to “make Brexit work”. If businesses cannot profitably export from or import into the UK again they won’t bother, they are not going to make a loss just to “make Brexit work”.

5 Likes

Just to reiterate, please amend your user name as requested before posting again. Thanks.

1 Like

I wasn’t being at all (I don’t think) I just asked 3 questions I am genuinely interested to hear an answer to.

1 Like

When sourcing parts I would look at various sources - french wholesalers & eBay/Amazon. Quite often it could be cheaper to buy from UK even with postage charges.
Now the cost of purchasing from the UK makes them uncompetitive so Germany or eastern European countries are getting that business from me.
It’s not as if much of it was made in the UK anyway.
I think the full impact of Brexit is currently being hidden by the Covid thing which happened only a few months after Brexit became final so those who think that reducing their free trade zone from 750 million potential customers to just 67 million would not impact on their economy are perhaps a little optimistic.
I have yet to hear from a brexiteer ONE benefit brexit has brought to the UK (apart from the re-introduction of duty-free) but perhaps there are lots, just not yet obvious…

1 Like

It has given the “little Englanders” something to crow about.

More importantly it has given a shot in the arm to the Scottish independence movements. Whatever Johnson and Gove might say, PUBLIC opinion across Scotland is increasingly in favour not simply of Indyref2, but of a YES vote whenever the poll comes.

Repubkuc of Ireland is a good source of goods with English speaking tech support.

Has anyone explored the mechanism for recovering the VAT from the UK?

I’m not sure as an individual you can claim back VAT from HMRC as a French (or non UK) end customer.
This guide is for businesses.

It used to be the case that sales to customers outside of the UK would attract a zero rate (or rather, outside the scope of VAT) but that required the traders co-operation and the goods to be delivered in circumstances where they most certainly were being exported - Channel Islands for example or to the Master of the vessel for overseas visitors with verifiable customs documentation.
Post Brexit, I’m not sure that the systems have been developed/updated to reflect the new position.

UK is outside the EU, therefore you pay customs duty, same as I do when I buy from the USA or Australia.
I buy all my computer equipment within the EU, why buy from UK ???

1 Like