Claim for house insurance

I am insured with NOVELIA, I put a claim (via my broker)to replace the glass on a sliding door on 1 Oct 21. I still have not received a reply after three. is this normal in France?
I have lived in different countries, and had to claim for different types on insurances e.g. house damage, car accident, and they have been resolved promptly (I had a car crash in USA , and the assessor came out the same day to my office a wrote me a cheque for the repair). Are things this slow in France, I know things don’t move fast here , but this is ridiculous.

Paul

What does your broker say?

She said, she has contacted the insurance company and they are overwhelmed. But waiting for over three months, is no longer a joke.
I wonder is there are law stipulates when the insurance company needs to respond by, otherwise, they can not reject a claim and just leave it, until the client gives up.
I do understand that insurance 1st objective is not to pay.

The normal next step in France is to send a registered letter with AR to the company complaining about the delay and requesting immediate consideration of your claim - a mise en demeure letter - basically a warming shot.

There are model letters available for you to adapt

https://www.lettre-recommandee.com/guides/banque-assurance/mise-en-demeure-assurances.html

I find a letter to the chairman / CEO works wonders.

At what point would the policyholder be entitled to give the insurers, say, 30 days notice to deal with the claim, advising them that if not settled within that number of days the policyholder will proceed to replace or repair etc? Can mention needed to avoid further deterioration, remove a safety hazard etc.

In the UK that’s what I’d want to do but in France it seems to me that enforcement of consumer rights is somehow harder.

Hi Sue,
after haranguing :hot_face:the broker, I finally received an approval :grinning:
I will keep in mind your advice, thank you.
Paul

1 Like