Classic cars and the Certificate of Conformity

I was warned once by a JEC member about the perils of importing a USA XJS to Europe, due to the differing regulations, but if it has a V5 it didn't ought to fail anything in France. I had an XJS LHD made for the Japanese market brought into France, via a British V5, no problem - however I did get a full CoC from Jag France, so no inspections required (I guess they could confirm from their records it was definitely EU spec, being LHD for Japan - I know the US ones were modified somewhat in a number of areas).

Good luck! Bite the bullet and I hope you don't have any major works to do. Only one way to find out!

Greg what was the original registration of your B

Many thanks. I think I will have to bite the bullet and throw myself at the mercy of the officials at MINE.

A partial certificate of confirmitie is ok - but the car will need to be inspected by the MINES.

They do this for cars not originaly imported to France in that specification.

I had to do this for my Fiat Spider and all they did was refuse to agree to it having four seats because it does not have rear seat belts. I you ensure that the car agrees with what is on the partial certificate, (even down to tyre sizes) then you should be ok. You will need French headlights.

Regards

geoff

Morning. I am very interested in this thread. I have a 1989 LHD Jag XJS V12 convertible which was re-imported from the USA to the UK in 1998. I bought it and immediately brought her to France where she has been ever since. Some years ago I replaced the awful 3 speed GM auto gearbox with a manual box and also installed a SS exhaust ( wonderful deep sound). The UK V5 is silent on whether she is auto or manual but variuos people have told me that I will have trouble getting her approved if I take her to MINE for an inspection. Jaguar France only issued a partial certificate of conformity as the car was built for the US market. It is clear that I do now need to register her in France (somewhat belatedly). Do you think FFVE can help me or is the car too young? With 3 young adult children back on the payroll it looks like I will be heading overseas again and will put my retirement plans on hold, however, I would like to try and sort this out before I go. Thanks. Hugh

I think it may be confusion over semantics because I obtained an "attestation d'identification from Fiat for about 150€ for my Fiat coupe, and that did the trick. I would go with what riat France have offered you.

I hope the system has not changed because later this year I too wil be importing a Fiat 500 here.

Regards

geoff

Glad you got it sorted. I've done three cars, much younger than yours, but all before C of C came into force. They're all Volvos. I called Volvo France. The helpful chap in 'homologation' told me over the phone that my cars 'conformed'. He then, for a fee sent out 'Letters of Conformity' , took those to my prefecture along with CT etc job done.

I think it was that, now you mention it. =)

Actually, that's worth noting - sometimes the FFVE can't for one reason or another, perhaps vehicle is too new, or they don't have the right records, or something - if so, VW and Porsche France will be able to help you. It will have to be the French offices, UK won't know what you're on about, but they will be equipped to send you the necessary papers.

Might have been too new.

Yes!! I tried to get a CoC for a Jag XJS through them, because they were so great with the Fiat, but I couldn't. Some complication, I had to go to Jaguar (who were good, in fairness, but twice the price...)

As Greg says, the FFVE are helpful & simple to deal with - in fact, with wierd & wonderful vehicles they are much easier than the manufacturers!

Hi Paul,

Yes, afraid so - *every* car needs a CoC, even ones made before the time of CoCs - it's daft, but that's how it is. These guys will issue retrospective CoCs for older vehicles. You need to contact them:

http://www.ffve.org/

Cheers,

Greg

hello,

i am moving to france in 9 weeks, to Biscarrosse. I have 2 VW campers 84 and 86 and a porsche 924 turbo. All LHD i need to register them. I have read about CoC's. do i need these?

what else can i do before i move?

Paul

When you take the papers to get it registered make sure they stamp on the CG that a CT is not necessary for 5 years. They must also certify that you can buy B&W plates if necessary. The last one I took ( MGB ) they did not stamp on the CT and they refused to change my plates. I went back in and they did a hand written endorsement but the garage still refused to give me the plates. This was a vehicle already with a French number all I did was get an FFVE certificate.

They finally sent another CG.

This is my latest acquisition - totally original including the paintwork - I will probably keep this one on UK plates.

Really? I didn’t do that - but they must’ve got it right anyway, since we got B&W plates, no problem. phew

Edit: thinking about it, bought the plates online and fitted myself I think. So should check.

When you take the papers to get it registered make sure they stamp on the CG that a CT is not necessary for 5 years. They must also certify that you can buy B&W plates if necessary. The last one I took ( MGB ) they did not stamp on the CT and they refused to change my plates. I went back in and they did a hand written endorsement but the garage still refused to give me the plates. This was a vehicle already with a French number all I did was get an FFVE certificate.

They finally sent another CG.

This is my latest acquisition - totally original including the paintwork - I will probably keep this one on UK plates.

PS - when you’re all legal we should start our own Fiat 500 club and meet in Aix-en-Provence for a beer. :wink:

Hi Chris,

First you need:

• a Certificat de Conformité (get that from http://www.ffve.org - contact them)
  • UK V5C in your name

Once you have that, you need to take it with you to your CT station (worth finding out which ones are ‘kind’ to classic cars, especially if you have RHD headlamps on - some places will pass them with tape over the lamps, others won’t) and get a CT (MOT) done.

Then they will put a little sticker in your window and give you a piece of paper saying the car is safe. Finally you need:

• declaration of import (you can get this for free from the mairee)
  • insurance (I can’t remember if the prefecture need to see this, I suspect not, but you’re illegal without it even if the car is just sat on your driveway) … I use Retro Assurance, they are silly cheap, got a Jag XJS with them too and it costs nothing:
    http://www.retroassur.com/

Now take EVERY PIECE OF PAPER YOU HAVE ABOUT THE VEHICLE to the nearest prefecture, queue and get registered. If you have everything with you, you won’t have to go home because they suddenly demand the original bill of sale, or something stupid like that. It does happen.

Assuming all goes well, they’ll issue you with a temporary Carte Grise. Go and buy your new number plates! =)

About two weeks later your actual Carte Grise will come in the post.

FFVE have a French import guide - I haven’t read it properly, but it’s probably accurate:
http://www.ffve.org/?option=com_content&view=article&layout=simple&id=62&menu_id=108&Itemid=51

Hi Greg, I am wondering if you can help me? I have a uk reg 1973 fiat500 that i want to register here, but dont know where to start. Would be grateful of any advice or info you could give me. thanks chris