Classic cars and the Certificate of Conformity

Head skimmed, 4 speed box and the US clean air system removed - now excellent on acceleration but in my old age rarely exceed 110

I am looking for a LHD Moggy minor traveller if anybody knows of one

Arse of a mechanic aside, sounds like your main problem was losing the CG! Having never done that, I can’t comment on how much of a pain it is, but it sounds like the answer is “a lot of a pain!” Unsurprisingly.

If you do things in the right order, the FFVE should process you quite quickly. We phoned them first and they were pretty helpful. Also, when we did forget something, they sent our form back all marked up like school work with a fresh one, so when we did return it it was perfect and sailed straight through. Whole process, including them returning it once, only took 2 weeks, so I think they’re ok.

PS - nice MG! I was once tempted by a V8, until I was told how thirsty they are. Used to have a '74 Lotus Elan, so an 1800 would feel too sluggish for me I fear. Bit of a speed freak! :smiley:

Well - I have a slightly different tale about classics in France but whatever I do never seems to have an easy path.

I have a MGB Roadster registered in France since 1973 and LHD. However it was due for a new CT last year and I decided to apply for FFVE status. They came back to me after submission of the forms saying that I had to have a new CT before they would register it. In the meantime I lost the CG. Went for a CT - expalined what I was doing - they said “You do not require a CT with FFVE”. Went back to them and was told to return to CT. CT man says - Cannot do a CT without you CG - showed him a copy but refused. I then applied for a new CG to the prefecture and completed a “perdu”. form. Prefecture refused because I had not got a CT ???

Went then to the Gendarmeie and explained the position and was told that the prefecture has to issue the “lost or stolen” certifates now !!! - the young Gendarmerie could see that I was not amused and eventually the sergeant attended and completed a lost report for me.

I then went for my CT and they accepted it - however the vehicle failed on two points 1. CO² to high (4,8) and front brake equilibrium ( pressure applied) was not even.

The took it to my local garage that now specialize in MG - balanced the carbs and got the C02 reading to a perfect 3,5 - cleaned the front brakes - they were sticking through lack of use. Returned for the CT. The boss man stuck a tube up the exhaust and then revved the bollox of the car until the valves were bouncing and promptly said the CO² was to high.

At that point all hell was let loose and he promptly gave me a CT after I checked the tick over speed and the reading was 3,9. - and called him a few unchoice names in English. Its the last time I will have a CT at that garage.

I am now going to send the file to the FFVE and start over again ???

Ok thanks Greg.

30 years old:
http://www.ffve.org/?option=com_content&view=category&layout=simple&id=72&menu_id=105&Itemid=51

How old does a vehicle have to be to qualify for “Vehicule d’Epoque” status?

Hi Mark,

Just to let you know, your assistance was invaluable! The FFVE sorted us out with the necessary paperwork for a Carte Grise Collection, and for significantly less money that Fiat France were going to try and fleece us for! And here it is, new plates fitted this afternoon:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4483735&l=9e9ded8728&id=508063631

Lovely job. Thanks again!
(It’s painful to Google and see how many people with classic cars to register in France are banging their head on the Certificate of Conformity issue - I’m surprised the FFVE is not more commonly known about.)

Thanks Mark, again! They’ll be worth a call tomorrow… =)

Hi Greg, You need the services of the FFVE! This is the Federation Francaise des Vehicules d'Epoque & they will help you by confirming that your car is what you say it is in the form of a very natty looking certificate. This does not cost the earth nor is it difficult to get. Download all you need from their web site www.ffve.org/ , Make a photocopy of the certificate as the prefecture will keep the original - at least they did when I imported "Wanted", see photo. The rest of the paperwork is the same as that for registering any other imported car.

Hi, I have a 1989 UK registered 2cv that I’ve shipped to France to use during our summers there. From all of the good comments above I suspect that I need to go through FFVE to register it. Any any guidance on how long this can take? Many thanks, Nick

Hi Nick… what date of build is on the V5 ?.. or is it 1989 as per the UK regn ??

I was chatting with the Departmental Rep for FFVE this morning… I have his business card… and he assured me I could contact him any time with queries re cars from UK… let’s see if he is as efficient as he is charming… :grin:

Once the car is 30 years old the length of time it takes to get FFVE certification depends on their workload. Three months is a reasonable estimate. The system is very straightforward.

Workload aside… this car is, on the face of it, only 28 years old… hence my query about build date…

Also, 2CVs prior to 1988 … were built in France… and 1988-90 (end of line) were built in Portugal… so that might have a bearing on how things go…
no idea one way or another… hence my offer to contact yesterday’s “main man” from the FFVE. :grin:

I know the car is probably only 28 years old hence my choice of introduction.

Cheers David… I am stressing the age point since, unless @Nick_Allen comes back to me with info… I can’t make enquiries in order to help him… :wink:

Stella, apologies for not coming back to you. Poor show on my part. We are based near Cognac and trying to find someone who can help us.

Stella, am back on the case. The V5 says 1989. Many thanks., Nick

Stella, 3rd one from me - just working through your posts. It would be really good to talk to the FFVE man. How best to do this? Cheers, Nick

@Nick_Allen

Hi Nick

I’ll contact him in the first instance… tell me, is your 2CV left or righthand drive…?

I’ll get back to you with his advice… meanwhile… do you have a paper trail…ie purchase invoice etc … the more details the better… speak soon

Stella, thanks for the quick reply. Its right hand drive. I have there paperwork from when I purchased the car from 2CV city in 2014 back in England. Am due back there in a couple of weeks and can pick it up then. Would be great if we can contact your guy asap. many thanks. Nick

1 Like