Classic Cars: Number Plates etc

After a question on another drifting thread… to which I have replied

I’m putting the reply again… here… so it can be found more easily…

I stopped by and spoke with my pal…a semi-retired Garagiste

YES I saw that he has a lovely “F” plaque on the bootlid of his classic 2CV… :+1:

He explained, no need for stars or such stuff (as per the modern immatriculations)… just something suited to the age of the car… (and the owner’s pocket)
His F plaque is completely separate from the classic black number plate which is way down below…

So, Just to be clear:
He confirmed that YES it IS necessary for French registered classic cars (CGCollection) to have a “country-identifying” badge… when driving out of France.

However, should the owner of a “registered classic” (CGCollection) … choose NOT to have the simple, black (classic) number plate… then the modern plate must conform and bear all the information just as it would for any modern car…
which will include the country-identifying F encircled by stars (LHS) and Department info (RHS)…

( @aerobat you might find this interesting… you did ask about your lovely Wolseley.)

Thanks for the info and interest. Another almost unknown French law for voiture de collection is that you are not required to show the CT étiqueter in the windscreen.

Absolutely… nothing must mar the beauty of our cars… :hugs:

ct rules.docx (105.4 KB)

@Aerobat
Have you joined a local car club ???

there’s bound to be something in your area…

The CT regs make that clear -

1 Like

A useful link for anyone with a classic car…

A useful weekly publication… La Vie de l’Auto on sale every Thursday…

https://www.lva.fr/