Climate complacency - we're probably all guilty

There are plenty of vegan shoes available, but beware the ones that use synthetics. I’ll leave you to do your own websearch.

Indeed, a better option than eating cows, but still responsible for loads of emissions & for the vast majority of birds it’s a very brutal & short life.

OMG!
Now I’ve heard it all, vegan shoes, something like these?
20231203_135933

4 Likes

Those soles are not butternut squash.

1 Like

I do my bit, but giving up meat isn’t going to happen for anyone in our family, we enjoy it too much I’m afraid
I tried it many years back but after 3 months I started again.

You might not, but cutting down is a good thing. Step by step…

1 Like

I didn’t say we had it every day :wink: we have fish more often than not, our red meat & chicken are from farms within 1 mile of us so I know what I am eating.

3 Likes

Which is good to know. However, the majority of meat is produced in ghastly ways & the end products are far from healthy.

There is a huge ‘elephant in the room’ that those demanding action on climate change refuse to discuss - the effect on the world economy. Banning or limiting air travel, only eating locally grown food and asking people to drastically reduce their meat consumption will destroy millions and millions of jobs, add in AI and it’s not hard to see mass unemployment in many countries around the world.

1 Like

All this talk of not eating this or that to save the planet is unlikely to save the individual who isn’t eating it, and just make them miserable.
There are certain foods I no longer eat as they are nit good for me and that sometimes makes me miserable. I’m buggered if I am going to pile further misery on by not eating what I can still eat.
Roast chicken for dinner tonight!

3 Likes

Interestingly, the foods that are not good for us are very often exactly those that are not good for the planet. :slight_smile:

Don’t know much about sheep farming in France, cos there isn’t much around here, but I’ve known some very varied sheep farming areas that are wholly unsuitable for crop growing. What are you going to grow on top of the Pennines, or in the arid scrubland of South Africa’s Karoo? Combine harvesters tend not to work very well on the sort of terrain where sheep are found?

2 Likes

There’s a word in the title of this thread which resonates like Big Ben at noon - guilty.

My observation is that guilt - the guilt of having access to pretty much all that heart or mind or appetite can desire - drives decisions which are pointless.

Not that the individual making that decision isn’t entilted to - just maybe it’s more of an emotional panacea than anything environmentally meaningful.

Having said that, I agree with ‘every little helps’ - I do my bit - but not to the extend that it causes anguish and hand-wringing.

Every time I took the Central line tube from Shepherd’s Bush to Hangar Lane I observed that the lights on the LT marshalling yards at Park Royal were always blazing away, in full daylight. Thousands of kW of electricty consumed to no pupose, day in, day out, year in, year out.

Having paid my dues doing airport transfers from LHR to central London, I became familiar with the vast extent of that airport. It’s the size of a town like Taunton or St Lo. It’s going full-on, 24/7. Not just the terminals, which most people are familiar with but all the ancilliaries needed to keep aircraft flying. And it’s not going to be shut down any decade soon, to save anything.

Multiply this at major airports all over the world.

I have couple of pals who vote Green. One is in the tree business and barks furiusly if one inadvertently runs the hot tap to wash up rather than using water from the kettle on the top of the log burner - this in London W8, home of Lord Cameron and various Attenboros’.

The other on the board of an outfit with ‘Conservation’ in it’s name, one of the founders having been the conservation/eco adviser to the Arch Bish of Cant’y.

They fly regularly to their properties in Eire. He flies 1st Class on long-haul jollies organised by The Dendrological Soc - Japan/Argentina et al

They ignore my suggestion to put TRVs on the rads. They turned down my offer of a programmable controller for their gas boiler - too much trouble getting in a fitter.

Yet they are mustard at ‘recyling’ waste paper and plastics. In fact, in RBKC all recycling waste goes into one bin and the recycling depot sorts it. Minimal effort for max eco satisfaction.

Their level of guilt is painful to observe.

3 Likes

A good example

2 Likes

There is sheep farming around our village, but also crop farming. Some of the land, particularly parts nearest to the village have very shallow soil, only really suitable for grazing. Half of our garden is granite bedrock around 20cm below the ground, and in some places it is much less. In the fields behind us, bedrock protrudes several feet out of the ground in many places.

You’ve completely misunderstood my comment of…

There is more than sufficient good arable land to feed the world a healthy plant based diet but not if, instead, you use a lot of that same good land to grow crops to feed to cattle.

In 1970 when I was 16 and taking A level Biology, I read The Doomsday Book by Gordon Rattray-Taylor. Backed by scientific research he warned of ‘the greenhouse effect’ as well as the effects of over population. Extremeley worried by such a devastating prognosis, and wanting to do my bit to save the earth, i

I decided not to have children. 53 years later I am still childfree, despite much social pressure over the years. I read somewhere that I have had a carbon impact 7 times less than those who have chikdren. Not exact science by any means but you get the drift. I still have that book on my shelves. I worried and campaigned for FOE over all these years, but saw noone else deciding to do the same. I cannot understand reports that say we have only discovered the coming crisis in the last 20 to 30 years! I feel I have done my bit now and plan to fly to Canada in 2025 to use some of my unspent carbon budget. I have restrained from flying for 10 years. I see people still fly today… mmm. So, to respond to the post, not having children must be the easiest ‘non-action’ one can take - I did.

1 Like

But wouldn’t that ultimately result in us eventually being extinct??? At which point it wouldn’t matter at all what the climate was doing :smiley:

Good idea, it would let the planet get on with things without us trying to destroy it :sunglasses::yum:

2 Likes

Is that per child or do you get a discount for having a large brood?

I’ve no clue about this, but how about reforestation?