Climate complacency - we're probably all guilty

Climate complacency: study finds even the most informed people would rather take the easy option

Energy efficient lightbulbs are useful – but more radical actions are available. New Africa / shutterstock

Alice Brock, University of Southampton et Ian Williams, University of Southampton

It is often argued that all we need to do is raise awareness of a “global emergency” and rising eco-anxiety means individuals will “do the right thing”. Our new study indicates this just is not the case.

We asked a balanced panel of 381 people about their opinions, beliefs, and awareness of climate change. Participants used a survey to identify which things they would be most willing to change to reduce carbon emissions.

These options varied from small tweaks such as switching to more efficient lightbulbs – an easy change but one that doesn’t hugely reduce emissions – to behavioural changes such as switching to a plant-based diet, which would reduce emissions considerably but requires a much bigger lifestyle change.

We might expect that people who are well aware of the severity of the climate crisis and who already demonstrate high eco-anxiety would opt for larger, more impactful behavioural changes. We might expect that high awareness and emotional engagement would lead to a clear willingness to make larger changes.

But that was not the case. Instead, we found that regardless of an individual’s stated environmental opinion and beliefs most opted for the easiest, but least impactful options. This goes against the oft-expressed view that all we need to do is explain just how bad the situation is and people will change.

We also found that demographic characteristics – culture, age, and socioeconomic background – had little bearing on how far individuals would go to change their behaviour to reduce their carbon emissions. Across all demographics the preferences were to take the easiest, least impactful options and strongly reject the more difficult and more sustainable options.

There were nuances: those with higher household incomes were more reluctant to reduce their overseas air travel, whereas those from lower income households considered this less of a priority. However, this may be due to the high cost of flights rather than a particular willingness to change that behaviour.

People on beach look at low flying plane Wealthier people were more reluctant to give up overseas flights. Captain Wang / shutterstock

Awareness alone is not enough

All this means that simply raising awareness and trying to nudge people into changing their behaviour is unlikely to have the necessary impact.

We have previously analysed various “light touch” policies such as carbon labelling, which provide information on how people can reduce their personal carbon consumption, but still allow them to act how they please. We found the public was indeed informed, but since nothing was enforced no emission reduction or behaviour change could be guaranteed.

We also looked at proposed policies such as carbon taxes which are are applied upstream and passed on to consumers. While this may lead to some emission reductions it may also enforce negative social impacts, such as those on lower incomes having to make drastic life changes while the affluent carry on as normal.

In our work we have considered the concept of personal carbon budgets. This involves assigning an amount of carbon per person that they can spend how they please, but they must exist within that limit. Such a system would need careful design and monitoring to ensure it was applied fairly, especially for the most vulnerable in society.

However, despite high awareness, high eco-anxiety and calls for immediate change, the public believe others should take responsibility for action. The public believe action should either be a “group effort” between all forms of governments, businesses and individuals, or just national government.

Without state intervention, we simply won’t see any meaningful changes to business and industry practices, and lifestyles and consumption habits. We cannot keep using encouragement and hope.

Politicians who suggest policies such as personal carbon budgets are unlikely to be elected. And the much vaunted “polluter pays principle”, first introduced by the Organisation of Economic Cooperation and Development in 1972, has failed to ensure that polluters pay fully for the social and environmental costs of their pollution.

We recognise that this is an immense and complex problem for scientists, governments, and politicians. How do we address climate change if governments will not make polluters pay and if we will not alter our own self-destructive behaviour?

It seems that we know the problem, we know how to solve it, we know we are all in it together and everyone needs to play their part – but we seem incapable of action.

Alice Brock, PhD Candidate in Environmental Science, University of Southampton et Ian Williams, Professor of Applied Environmental Science, <a

href=“University of Southampton on The Conversation”>University of Southampton

This article is republished from The Conversation under a Creative Commons license. Read the original article.

OK, let’s discuss what steps you are taking to reduce your greenhouse gas creation footprint.

Do you want to do something that you think is too difficult? Maybe some here can advise.

There’s one rule of this thread - please keep to facts & not opinions.

1 Like

OK, let’s discuss what steps you are taking to reduce your greenhouse gas creation footprint.

Do you want to do something that you think is too difficult? Maybe some here can advise.

There’s one rule of this thread - please keep to facts & not opinions.

Good luck with that. All too often peoples opinions are so hard driven that they morf into fact.

I think the vast majority of folks are driven by hard economics when it comes to choices. I also think it’s the minority who would willingly pay additional cost for an ‘option’ that delivers a more sustainable environmental impact unfortunately. Whether we like it or not, that is the reality. While lower cost more damaging options exist they will tend to be prevalent to the majority. The only way to drive true change is through Government influence e.g. increasing tobacco tax + driving increased awareness of the dangers = reduced number of smokers, increase fuel cost = people reduce care mileage……… Until the majority of folks see an impact on them personally, they will continue with their regular habits. When I was working I would happily take several flights a week for many weeks of the year, and climate change was the last thing on my mind. My carbon footprint must have been enormous. Not something I am terribly proud of, but at the time it was perceived as necessary to perform my job. I am pleased to say that the pendulum has now swung firmly and positively in the opposite direction, having now adopted a completely contrasting lifestyle, and feel much healthier, happier and more content as a result.

Change does not happen overnight, it takes years, but at least it does happen eventually. To accelerate the process, Governments need to up their game. Otherwise my forecast is that it will take a few more decades before there is any real meaningful change. In the meantime I continue to do my bit! Will be very interested to hear any ideas folks have for improvements on a personal level.

2 Likes

I have like letsmile changed dramatically since I retired as I worked in 22 countries around the world.
I haven’t flown in 10 years, we now cycle for most of our shopping, anything under 20km we use the bikes and bike trailers to do all our food shopping.
We grow all our own veg/fruit, we have no food waste, all garden waste gets ground/mulched and reused, we keep chickens and geese for eggs, do not use mains water for anything other than drinking water.
I mostly use locally sourced wood for all our renovations as one of my bugbears with France is their sending of most of their timber to China for processing and then shipping the products back, which came back to bite them during covid.
We use Le Boncoin to source reclaimed timber and repurpose it for our renovations, likes of roof tiles we clean up and reuse instead of buying new, crushing up tiles and rubble instead of dumping it and any bricks get cleaned up and refused.
I rarely use cement or concrete anymore, repair goods rather than dump and buy new, draught proofing and new windows have cut our fuel use drastically with the benefits of both cost and emissions.
It’s mostly small things in the grand scheme of things, but every little helps I suppose and while it can be time consuming and a lot harder work at times, time is something I have plenty of nowadays.
Knowing I’m time limited nowadays makes it more rewarding and important to me doing what I can, while I can.

15 Likes

Griffin36 You should be congratulated - well done! You’ve set an excellent example.

2 Likes

Since moving back our biggest change is cutting our vehicle usage by 90% which has several benefits - minimal emissions, major monetary saving and increased physical activity (walking).

1 Like

I think one problem is that one person cannot make a lot of difference whatever he or she does, unless it’s e.g. a rich person flying all over the place in a private jet, so people think, “what’s the point?” It’s the same with voting.
Not that we think so. Vegetarian diets seem to make a big difference.

1 Like

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the world’s population can’t follow it.

That’s a common viewpoint, but one that always needs to be called out. Enough people doing enough of the right things will help in the long run, especially if that behaviour influences business & governments.

…which is very good to hear.

Absolutely. Giving up red meat is the one on the biggest things that you can do to cut your carbon footprint.

Veganism is even better, obviously.

1 Like

https://www.iowafarmbureau.com/Article/Question-Do-cow-farts-really-contribute-to-global-warming

Not much point in me reducing my carbon footprint while our nieghbours in the field next door are increasing theirs :ox::cow2:

1 Like

The vast majority of the world don’t have a carbon footprint that’s in any way comparable to us in the West/global North

2 Likes

@Griffin36 has set a very high bar above in this thread, and deserves full credit. In comparison I feel our efforts to reduce carbon footprint are rather modest, but on the basis that every little helps…

We have only 1 small car, a Renault Zoé (EV)
We haven’t flown anywhere for many years
All our clothes are from clothes banks or charity shops
(My wife volunteers each week at the local clothes bank)
Heating only from sustainable maritime pine pellets/granulés - set as low as possible (15C)
We removed a fioul oil burner/replaced it with poêle for granulés
We’re both vegetarian, try to avoid eating things that have excessive food miles wherever possible
We grow all the veg we can eat
We compost everything that can conceivably be composted
We put out a small bag of non recyclable rubbish only about every six weeks.
I collect up litter and flytipped rubbish for recycling and/or reuse
My wife has recently designed and built a greenhouse almost entirely from doors and windows that a local miroiterie/window shop was about to take to the dechetterie.

8 Likes

Amazing, you are really emerald green.

Grass fed beef and lamb does not have the h7ge carbon footprint that beef raised on American or South American feed lots has.
Grass fields holds in carbon and, especially around here, the soil level is quite thin, so not suitable for growing crops.

3 Likes

It’s still a far greater contributor to greenhouse gas emissions than using land to grow crops.

You also need less land to grow crops to feed the world than you do to feed animals to be killed & eaten, often in quantities that are unhealthy.

Animals are not just a food source. They make a significant contribution to the clothes we wear and when those clothes are wore out as a natural product they are biodegradable.
Replacing this material source with synthetic material is far worse.
Why Are Synthetic Materials Bad? – Oliver Charles.

3 Likes

Maybe, but endeavour counts.

We can all do that which we are each capable of doing. I have stopped using gaz & oil to keep my house warm during the 22 EJP days my electric central heating is switched off.

Instead, I wrap up warm and use a blanket to cover my legs in the evening. Bedroom temperature is around 11°C but it’s warm & cosy under the duvet.

I’m surprised at how quickly I have adapted. Whenever I feel cold, I remind myself and think of those who sleep rough. If they can do it outdoors, I can do it indoors.

2 Likes

I never suggested or implied that.

There are plenty of natural materials to make clothes out of. Cotton & hemp are just two that spring to mind.

Also, I should mention that despite it’s usefulness the world already seems to not value sheepswool sufficiently. Given that sheep will continue to exist even in a lower meat world there’s another resource right there, & they can graze on places where…

2 Likes

Perhaps not directly but if you are suggesting that red meat cuts an individual’s carbon footprint what will that footprint wear, synthetic rather than leather soles perhaps?
Certainly cannot see cotton or hemp lasting long as a leather replacement.
And for the record I dont eat red meat, much prefer chicken.