Climate/ecological breakdown

Must be a free lunch and duty free fags and booze

3 Likes

She can sell her surplus antibiotics as well.

1 Like

Quite. There is a far from erroneous assumption that ministers enjoy the perks of a good junket, regardless of the forum.

PM Sunak has some rather pressing issues to handle ASAP in UK and as a wealthy traveller on his own account probably sees no perk in the charms of COP at Sharm El-Sheikh. Imagine the hue and cry if he were going?! You can just hear the tabloid press baying because the PM would dare to chose the environmental meet instead of knuckling down to the very urgent difficulties at home.

I for one think this would be an excellent opportunity to send HRH. By quite some way the best informed on the subject. Well connected and with respect he could make a very important statement about the UK position in environmental concerns, just by attending, and without saying one word. If he could be persuaded to attend as a silent observer, SILENTLY, it may be a win all around.

2 Likes

Why can’t they have the meeting on Teams or such, no need to fly etc…

2 Likes

I agree completely Susannah, it demostrates what a complete dogs dinner has been made of our economy.

2 Likes

Some evidence here that some governments at least are beginning to grasp the nettle:

The EU’s first-mover status might not last long, since parts of the U.S. such as California and New York are eyeing up their own 2035 clean car mandates, while other developed economies are now considering similar policies. Global electric car leader Norway, for example, will get there in 2025.

The new EU rules won’t affect older cars already on the road by 2035, but the overall ambition is to make sure that all vehicles inside the EU are zero emissions by 2050.

1 Like

I have been trying to implement the change at work for the new restaurant to be electric only not gas but the supply transformer locally cannot take the additional load. My point to the assembled comittee is we should reduce the load by better engineering of the building thus allowing the restaurant to be electric. Falling on deaf ears at the moment.

1 Like

Yes - on a smaller scale I’m trying to persuade my wife to move from our gas hob to electric - no easy task when experienced and accomplished cooks have preferred gas for decades.

We always had gas for cooking in the UK, and it was far superior in many ways. When we moved here, we got an induction hob, which is almost as responsive as a gas hob and far better than any other type of electric hob.

4 Likes

We changed from gas to induction. The only problem was with some of my pans, but that was easily resolved. I wouldn’t choose to go back to gas now.

3 Likes

Nothing quite as controllably sensitive as gas BUT, electric induction hob is an excellent and definitely cost saving alternative.

In the past decade I’ve had the pleasure of kitchens with everything from Aga through flame to induction and can assure your beloved that she would love induction after a week. Very quick (sometimes too quick!) to heat/cook, very easy to keep clean and a doddle if you have a spill, and no pot on top means not heat, so will not be a danger to the visiting grandchild/children

The only caveat is that you might need some new pans. Le Creuset works! And we who absolutely insist on coffee made in traditional Bialetti Brikka expresso pots, easily found a handy under plate converter by Bialetti that provides the necessary contact for the old aluminium pots.

2 Likes

Same here. We had a relatively expensive set of stainless steel pans that we had for about 20 years. We assumed they would work on the induction hob, but they didn’t. They were still in really good condition and we sold them on leboncoin for a good price. We then bought exactly the same set of pans, which then did work with an induction hob, online from the UK when they were on offer for a price less than we got for the old set. Result :+1:

The only other caveat is, you can’t have induction if you have a pace maker. I’m hoping someone will know if this advice has changed for more modern induction hobs or is it something manufacturers have still to address?

That’s interesting, and I suppose sensible considering how they work. When there is no pan on the hob periodically sends out a ‘spike’ of energy … you can hear the clicking noise. This is used to detect if a pan is present. It’s probably that spike that pacemakers don’t like.

My new induction hob manual comes with a warning, in the manual. I wonder if anyone in authority, (anywhere), has given thought to it, in their rush to go all electric :thinking:.

Pacemaker owners are usually given a brief when they have one fitted, induction equipment and welders/plasma cutters are out, not that any of you would need a plasma cutter to cut up your cooking hahaha.

1 Like

It depends on who’s doing the cooking in our house, might come in handy when OH tries something new😂

3 Likes

Gosh! That is alarming news. The BMF says you can use one but should keep your ticker at least 60cm away. I suppose that is arms length. May be a bit too worrying for those with a pacemaker then.

Some may use that as an excuse for OH doing tje cooking :joy:

Or OH may be the one with the pacemaker.