Climate/ecological breakdown

Hi @rendi60

I’ve read your reply forwards, backwards, using two mirrors, translated it into Maori, converted it into Luxembourgeois before reading it upside down and STILL I can’t understand your intended meanings.

This is one of the problems when we can only type a reply or response, when we can’t see body language or hear the emotion in someones voice when they are saying something we can easily lose the real feeling and misconstrue what’s being written.

What’s easy to see being written as a joke for one person, might not be read by someone else as a joke, what might be “banter” in writing for one person might be offensive to someone else to read.

Conversely a serious comment in writing, might come across as being flippant.

So I’m writing this not to make fun of you, nor your comment - only to explain that I can’t be 100% clear about what you are trying to say.

It could just be I’m just a little slow on the uptake…

Yes it certainly helps, thank you.
It is a huge economy and the appetite for new stuff is overwhelming. The danger as I see it and it looks like a macro is playing out on SF is "the Chinese pollute so much and the Australians provide it so not much point in little o’l me doing anything so v little would change. We all need to play our part. Cannot wait for governments to take the lead in a lot of cases.
Whilst we cannot do much about the sun and its effect we can still clean up our planet and especially the oceans as our biggest CO2 sink.

Isn’t the point that every country has to play?

1 Like

I think we are on the same page.

In that everyone must do their part to the best of their abilities for the planet.

Not everyone will be able to take the same actions, it will depend on many factors obviously.

By highlighting the % caused by China and coal etc it might help target action where it could produce massive resulting change “in addition to individual action taken”.

I never suggested not facing up to our own individual responsibilities. Far from it.

1 Like

Hello and welcome to the forum. Sorry if I have confused you. You will soon see that there is a lot of Brit bashing on the forum which I find tiresome. Someone may soon point out that Britain colonised Australia and so lay the blame for the mining there.

Ah but the French took the English in 1066 but Romans did the same earlier and then the nasty Norse came before that so just like the climate argument we are all involved.

1 Like

Exactly. We are all the same really and need to work together.

Might as well blame the Romans, after all, what have they ever done for us?

5 Likes

Mr Nitpicky B*st@rd would remind you the Normans came after the Romans and, strictly speaking, were the ‘French’ of 1066 but that doesn’t matter at all. :wink::smile:

1 Like

I put the blame on the homsapiens with out that race the world wouldn’t be the same :joy:

But due to French bureaucracy the Romans didnt receive their Cds as they spent too long out of France so were a 3rd nation and not entitled to anything. Honestly the Gaul of some nations! Eh Obelix. :smiling_face: *

2 Likes

It’s good to see you’ve corrected your Vitalstatistix. Now to find some mistletoe.

At this moment…

Hello, thanks for the welcome, it’s actually my second time as a member (does that make me a repeat offender?).

My name’s Henri, I wrote a few bits last time and I offered input about using chainsaws, but then life got a bit busy and I inquired about how I could delete my membership (because of too many distracting emails from the forum during my time of difficulty), a few replies came in about how to stop the emails and still remain a member, but before I had a chance to do that BAM the admin just deleted my account with not so much as a ‘by your leave sir’.

But life is back on track, health’s all good again and I though I’d try this forum thingy again.

I do appreciate you taking the time to explain your post, I did think it was about the pommy bashing and just wanted to get clarification from you rather than just assume I was right.

I can feel your emotion very clearly about what you describe as Brit bashing on the forum. I’ll take a look around the forum more closely and take in what I see, but clearly for you it cause’s a burr in your saddle.

I am sure that some people think ‘banter’ is the same on a forum as it might be at a dinner party, or in a pub. But it’s not, because when face to face, across a dinner table or across a room in a pub we can hear emotion in a voice, we can see facial gestures and arms or hands moving as a person talks.

This makes it markedly easier to understand the intention of the words used, where as in written form only - the reader has to try and fill in blanks and at times guess what the meaning is.

I believe that there are also a lot of people that either don’t have the time, or can’t be bothered, or are so focused on tapping out a reply to get their point out there, that they shorten and rush their reply. Which can only compound the problem we might have with interpretation of their comment, banter, attack or even reasoned point of view…

Let me get back to saying thanks for your reply, it made me feel good that someone took the time to explain something for me, and to welcome me to the forum. It’s not a crime to read or write something nice every now and then, in fact it’s really quite nice.

Henri

4 Likes

Hey Henri, repeat offender eh? At least you haven’t been offensive. :wink:

Just watch out for emoticons like the wink etc, often a good indication of whether someone is joking or being intentionally offensive. I have a feeling it’s harder for some to communicate readily this way because the things that provide social lubrication are different, and it’s not acceptable to write just what one thinks.

Hey @Ancient_Mariner “At least you haven’t been offensive.”

Yet… :wink:

Enjoy your day and thanks!

1 Like

Too right, children will be the most affected of us all (cpnsidering myself an oldie here). Friends -vegan, peta members, enviromentalists) think that by not having kids they are ‘saved’. Being a motivational speaker and a musician they do at least a couple of long haul flights a month, drive a range rover and crank up the heat.
It is easy to preach buying organic produce if you have theleans and opportunity

Not so easy for a single mother in a council high rise who needs 'cheap’food to make ends meeting

3 Likes

Very true, lots of virtue signallers around.
Sadly the cheap food is also often convenience food. Is anyone taught to cook at school anymore?

1 Like

Interesting post on new French house building/renovation energy standards in another thread:

This, however, is pretty scary…