Clocks changing this weekend

Haha. Interesting, I wonder why it doesnt prefer the paris signal or is it a frequency difference I wonder.

Probably locked to a particular signal - otherwise it might reset to a random transmission.

That’s technology for you, I just had to move the hour hand 30° manually on the clocks, sorted :wink::yum:

A good joke but that’s not Stonehenge, it’s Avebury stone circle.

There’s one called The Barber’s Stone - about 8 tonnes worth. Back in the day these stones were regarded as pagan and occasionally attempts were made to bury them. In trying to do this, it toppled over and the village barber, unwisely down in the hole, got the whole lot on top of him.

When the stones that were buried or had fallen over were restored upright, the skellybones of the barber came to light.

Avebury is every bit as impressive as Stoners - maybe more so. The best bit is that there is an excellent pub in the middle of it.

2 Likes

You’d be a fan-boy of my Danish pal Jorgen, then. He designs the foundations for off-shore wind-farm turbines.

The best bit is that appero has been advanced from 7pm yesterday to 7pm today, which is really 6pm [as was] :grinning:

A British radio controlled clock takes its time signal from a transmitter in Cumbria, near Carlisle. It won’t listen to any other. Why would it? I have a sticker on mine, now “+1 hr Euro time”

The proposal to cease this clock change malarky is jammed between the EU Commission and the EU Parliament. It has been put on the backest of burners.

Avebury Ring is fabulous, I agree. The Callanish ones look amazing but I have never seen them in real life.

Absolutely brilliant int exhibition on at British Museum right now - called Stonehenge but about so much more. If one happened to be heading that way for a day out of course!

“Following the story of Britain and Europe from 4000 to 1000 BC, you’ll learn about the restless and highly connected age of Stonehenge – a period of immense transformation and radical ideas that changed society forever.”

1 Like

It won’t, as it will use the NPL time signal for reference, which broadcasts UK time. It can be received through most of Europe. There is an equivalent transmitter for Western Europe somewhere in Germany. You’ll probably find that your clock is perfectly capable of using the European time signal, but it would need some (possibly internal) adjustment to make it do that.

DCF77

I was there the other week, sadly only down in the plant rooms.

1 Like

Its probably to do with the frequency that the receiver uses. They probably cant all use the same as it would cause interference. I think the UK signal is 60khz, wiki says it is.
Time from NPL (MSF) - Wikipedia.

France seems to use 162khz

The clock in my bathroom has finally changed to Summer Time… voilà… and I didn’t drop it this year, while I fiddled with it… :roll_eyes: :+1:

Are you sure that it is not now 90 mins out?

The Scottish neolithic structures and villages do look remarkable but I have never yet visited. Nor Karnac in Brittany but at least I have moved in their direction.

What is extraordinary to think of when visiting Avebury, that the circular bank and ditch within [which must have filled in a great deal over the 4/4.5 millenia since it was dug], was dug by individuals using only deer antler picks.

The labour to achieve it was colossal and the commitment to the project very difficult for us to understand.

3 Likes