CMU, AME, or what?

As some of you know, I had a health problem that landed me in the hospital for ten days at the beginning of December. Now I've got a bill, and my doctor is adamant that I need to interface with the French social security so I don't wind up paying for the whole thing -- or for the doctor's visits, laboratory examinations, and drugs.

There are a couple of factors involved in this that make my case different from the majority of cases in this group, starting with the fact that I'm American, not British.

Thus, if there are Americans here who've had to deal with being uninsured and being hospitalized on an emergency basis, I'd like to talk to them.

Anyone? Bueller?