Colony Diary

Until now I have always used a round feeder as per photo A. However, I have just purchased two feeders as per photo B. One of these I put on a hive, and have found a large number of drowned Bees in it, around 20. It is possible that they were trapped on the change over of feeders, but does nay one know how these things work? I know that you fill the tray with syrup or make a hole for Bess to access candy, but I just can not see how the Bees get to the part that has syrup in it. Has anyone used this type of feeder?

If there is no brood then they can't have swarmed with or without clipped Queen.

No sign of brood in a newly introduced colony indicates that the Queen was likely to have been dead or duff from the start or close to it. A new colony, even a hived swarm colony with a good Queen would have brood as eggs within a week, within 3 or 4 days on comb. However you say there was a Queen cell mid frame which would normally mean there had been some brood for a time but not always.

If there is no Queen I would have to question whether she really was a new laying Queen when purchased or she has been killed or lost accidentally during manipulation - not an uncommon occurrence.

Chris

There is hope then, unless she has gone to the big colony in the sky :-( If so, I suspect you would have found her on the floor of the brood box first look. Back to looking in the wrong places in case. I once found a lizard in a brood box snacking on my ladies, there is always the extraordinary of that ilk to add spice to keeping - just when we don't want it as a rule.

I bow to your knowledge, but as they were only a five frame neuk, and only been in their new home two weeks, I hope you are wrong. The Queen was clipped, and according to my friend whose garden they are in, there has been no noticeable activity in her orchard.

I will have a closer look on Saturday when I feed again.

Sadly, sounds like you have had a swarm and along with her maj of course. No signs of brood, then probably the workers will keep going because that is their raison d'être, as they die off over the next couple of weeks you will know for sure but it seems very much like that's it.

No, I could not see any obvious signs of brood. I am also wondering if I have lost a Queen. She is/was this year's, marked and clipped Was on the second frame of the brood box a week ago.

It seems like supercedure to me, if it is a play cup it is only an incipient queen cell and can be simply ignored henceforth. Now, lovely game this, is going through the brood box to see if there is a queen in the 'wrong' place, take a serious look at the colony to see if there has been a swarm and thus your old queen gone or what. Either I am extremely jammy or not watching properly, but since I started keeping back in the 1970s I have had very few colonies without a queen. I used to keep a colony diary, especially to keep tags on colony sizes and what I had done to look for what. I stopped for some unknown reason and know I should restart, it makes life so much easier. Especially if you have a dwindling colony that ultimately you have to leave to its own sad fate rather than spending too much time on it.

There is an unsealed Queen cell present about a third of the way down on the middle frame sounds like either a play cup, a supercedure queen or most likely an emergency queen. Might be worth having a proper look to see whats happening?

You didn't mention seeing any brood in that hive.

Chris

It's just over two weeks since the two new colonies of Buckfast arrived. O what joy to not have to worry about a smoker!

Feeding continues, and I have managed two full inspections. All appears well with the colony on our property. Queen present, stores on frames and arriving daily. Obvious evidence of Queen laying. I have put in a sixth frame.

The other colony, some 10km away, seems not quite as well. Could not see the Queen on Tuesday last, but plenty of stores and comings. There is an unsealed Queen cell present about a third of the way down on the middle frame.

The colony that I had earlier in the year is doing very well, and the brood box is full.

I must take some pictures

We've never shut hives, not even for transhumance. smoke, and go. we used to reduce the doorways of weaker hives over winter, but not ever completely close them.

Hi Brian

My books also say to shut up the hive. Pierre made the point that Bees also need to defecate; and although we might see -5c in the early morning in January, it is very rarely that over a two week period we will not see a couple of hours temperatures suitable for flying.

I have also been told to start winter feeding the new colonies now, to ensure four frames of honey per hive for over wintering.

I know what you mean about flowers. Plenty of Ox-eye, Orchids and Daisies. Cornflowers starting to appear along with Thistles. No Poppies on my patch, but some close by. I have at last found a plot of Acacia for next year, next to a client's vineyard.

I've never heard of closing hives here or in the UK or indeed anywhere in Europe, it would be a most bizarre thing to do preventing the bees from clearing their dead and making cleansing flights let alone bringing in water.

I understand and have no doubt that it's true that varroa is endemic in Europe apart from a couple of isolated islands although personally they don't bother me or my bees, I'm one of the 2.6% in France that doesn't use any treatments at all, not even so called natural and I experience no more losses than would be expected in nature, much the same as the INRA studies in France showed and less in fact than those in my area that use "stuff" in or on their hives. Then again I have local mongrels that have stood the test of time and are perhaps better adapted than bought in bees / queens. I also have some colonies that never get opened at all, not even for honey and the eldest are 8 years with continuous occupancy, no treatments, no nothing, just left to their own devices, but then I'm a naturalist so have a different agenda.

Broad church if you can call it that, rather like agriculture.

Cheers, Chris

Not shutting up for the winter is quite normal here. I never did because my 'mentor' said that bees should be allowed to forage whenever they could throughout the winter although my half a dozen books, two of which are German keepers' way of doing it, all say close them in. Find out about varroa first. There appears to be 'none' hereabouts although I am not always sure what 'none' might really mean when people might not want to say their bees have the mites. None of my hives are infested, I have some strips in case though.

My little women are working their proverbial socks off. I was clearing long grass in front of two hives a few days ago and almost thought they were swarming but actually it was just sheer numbers coming and going. It is all wild flower collecting but this year they have been spectacular. Right now there are orchids, ox-eye daisies, cornflowers and poppies that shock the eye they are so colourful. That must be manna for them. I wish we had something that gave us another honey though.

Two new colonies of Buckfast bees now installed in their new homes. This year's Queens, both marked and clipped. Last night I spent an interesting evening with M. Pierre Darfeuil, from whom the Buckfast colonies came. It was suggested that I treat for Varoa in July, rather than in Sept/Oct. Also not to shut up the hives for the winter, but to allow them an exit. Different from what I was taught in the UK.

Just a quickie... temperament wise, we got 30 carnolians delivered a bit back, and they are so very docile. Very nice ladies indeed. The difference between them, and the others we have (mostly royal jelly specific hybrids, along with Italians) is even notived in the car on the way back from the apiary... hardly any bees in the car, because they all seem to just mind their own business.

I only have a dozen hives, have so far split two colonies to restock repaired hives and still need to do others, so not sure. All I know is that they started early this year and are now in far bigger numbers than usual for April. That does not worry me at all though. Mine are also hybrids and without a doubt they are a grumpy lot of working women. This year is gloves only and definitely no shorts. I do like the nice ones I used to have in England more than ever, absence makes the heart grow fonder springs to mind. Anyway, I would offer if I knew but will defer this year.

If you get stuck I have loads of bees but they are all hybrids and temperament varies, not something that bothers me as long as they are survivors.

Chris

Use that then, no matter how often they come, once a look inside they'll probably want to again. Meanwhile, going to play with mine tomorrow, more supers to change for maintenance. Who says working bees is only occasional work?

I get the point Brian, but the kids only come across from the UK or Switzerland abut twice a year. However, just got a veil for my step son's girl friend who says she is going to help me with the new colonies. She has more to her than my step son and my wife in such matters.

Buy a couple of veils, I have them for my daughters, and show them in the hive and explain. The investment is worth it and can be used whenever necessary. The children come to respect the bees and will know what it is about and keep away. It worked for others who encouraged me to do the same. Better still, get your friend to split the cost, a voile simple costs less than €10.