Commune taxes

Not sure if that’s the correct name ? I’m referring to the taxes you need to pay to your commune for things like waste collection, recycling etc (many other things as well). And i wanted to try to find out what i need to consider for these costs in my calculations ? Are they based on property value, Nº of inhabitants or something else ?

It will help me complete my Excel chart :face_with_monocle:

Your taxe foncière and taxe d’habitation are essentially the local taxes. Rubbish collection is part of the TF. Both are based on an assumed rental value of your property, and calculated in a fairly impenetrable way. The levels are also adjusted locally so some places are higher than others. You should be given the information when you enquire anout a specific property.

Taxe d’hab is being phased out, so if your income is beneath approx 27,000€ For 1 person you are exempt.

Second homes pay more, and in places where there is a lack of rental accommodation this difference can be significant.

1 Like

Thanks for that info, very useful.

Any ideas of actual values i’m likely to pay, say a house of €500k, i’m guessing at a rental value of say €2,000 p/month (complete guess).

This gives you an idea for 2018, although taxe foncière has risen sharply in some areas. However these are averages, and the average house in France is around 120m2 and average cost 220,000€.

https://www.toutsurmesfinances.com/impots/les-montants-de-la-taxe-d-habitation-et-taxe-fonciere-par-ville.html#Montant_de_taxe_fonciere_et_de_taxe_dhabitation_a_Lille

Current rental value bears little relation to the value used in taxe calculations. A bit like rateable value in UK which was set in another world.

I pay for my waste collection separately to my TdH. Consequently my TdH bill itself appears to be really low.

Thanks both, really useful once again.

Not universally the case as, for us, refuse is separate.

Very interesting…I wonder if that will mean you are more advanced than us in finding better ways to deal and pay for rubbish.

Shortly for us the rubbish will be separate - a new system was supposed to come in earlier this year but it has been delayed. No more collections from the street - there are now 3 collection points in the village and you will have to swipe a card to put a sack of rubbish in the bin - we will then get a bill each year. Same system is to be used at our Decheterie.

(this is my limited understanding of what was proposed in the leaflet).