Computer stuff…..what is going on…..?

Increasingly common to find the NAND flash chips for the SSD as well as the RAM chips soldered to the board in modern laptops, especially “thin and light” machines; it’s no longer just MACs which engage in this unfortunate habit.

There *are* valid techincal reasons - performance and ever higher frequencies mean the copper traces need to be as short as possible and ideally not go through connectors and having chips soldered direct to the board reduces size and weight (and everyone loves a svelte laptop).

Personally I prefer the possibility of upgrade which is why I went with an XPS as it has socketed RAM and M.2 drive.

1 Like

Don safety glasses, gloves and riot helmet (if available).

Determine approximate location of drive to be destroyed.

Position Max on surface you don’t care about with the side giving best angle of attack to drive facing upwards.

Take a cold chisel/hammer combo or a drill with an HSS bit and make holes in drive.

Dispose of now secure Mac as recommended by your local recycling authority.

Good grief!

Husband will be forewarned :rofl:

If they have been wiped can you not just flog them instead of creating more landfill?

1 Like

He has them both up for sale at the moment, we have someone coming on Friday to look. Seems keen but who knows and they may not even turn up. We will be leaving the UK in a week’s time so if not sold a couple of days before then the smash it to bits route it will have to be

Here’s an alternative to wasting such a valuable item: Where to donate your computer to local people: community reuse projects in the UK - The Restart Project

Thank you. Just done a search but nothing around us. Shame as would have been happy rather than smashing it up

My monitor has started to periodically black out for a second or two. Had a look at the HDMI cable, and along its length, it has been nibbled at by little rodent teeth! Could that be the reason for the screen blacking out now & again?

Shall get a new cable anyway – hope that solves the problem. Need to protect the cable from sharp little rodent teeth somehow!

Something like this maybe ,

:grinning:

3 Likes

Our dedicated Control And Terminate team is waiting for your call.

5 Likes

I’ve got four of those and I’ve given them the sack for inefficiency.

3 Likes

Thanks, looks good, but from Canada. Am waiting to find out what the delivery costs would be. Doesn’t seem that metal armoured HDMI cables are available in EU so might have to go for flexible metal mesh protective tubing or something like that, which I can use on other cables as well, that get nibbled.

Maybe stop feeding them and see if they can develop a reason to investigate? :wink:

I stopped feeding them weeks ago. Don’t know what they are eating to stay alive. Once the cables are protected I’ll leave some redundant nibbled cable around for them to nibble on. They are cute but pesky!

I meant stop feeding the cats, rather than the mobile cat food. :wink:

2 Likes

I misunderstood, sorry. Can’t deprive the cats of their junk food - they like it too much. Their arthritis and old age, and loss of interest in the natural world and its prey, means I remain the chief mouser.

2 Likes

Get a young cat and keep it hungry?

Anti-Rongeur spray - available at Norauto and similar outlets.

In our house it’s me that has the boxes of such “stuff” ! But we went to the déchetterie this mornng and at least some of the stuff has now gone.

Nope! I’m too old and must outlive my current crew…

1 Like