Confirmed Britons will need a carte de sejour!

I prefer to be a step ahead.
The “stampede” is likely to be much worse, if/when the, “bit of paper” becomes a requirement. :wink:

2 Likes

I too am holding fire. Would rather wait for clear rules, not those published in a ‘local paper’. Why panic if you have the proof needed?

3 Likes

One of life’s unknowns Bill. As people have pointed out it’s a personal decision, you think it’s a good idea, I believe it’s better to wait. Life is like that, it’s great being a grown up and being allowed to see the facts and make up your mind on how you want to proceed.

I too have a good paper trail!
I have been accounted for from day one and been living here for eleven years
and every thing is going well.
I can understand the French administrations point of view ….it is a British problem.
But not instigated by all ……most of us living here respect the French way of life and
really do not want to leave.
Why should we be punished.
Sorry Tim but I notice that you always enjoy disagreeing with me.

As I said I do not trust the UK ……there is very little left for me to trust!

2 Likes

Your right of course, Both, Pleased you think I’m “grown up” Dave. :rofl:

1 Like

Another reason that I’m not panicking is because I read the instructions from the British Embassy in Paris quite differently from the way that social media has broadcast it. To me it implies that you should prepare to apply for a residency document, it does not tell you to do so. Having said that the sentence concerned is very badly constructed and I’m quite willing to believe it was written like that on purpose; it gives the embassy a get out clause if and when certain sections of the population complain that they were given duff information.

ah yes so now you are thinking.

1 Like

My Wife thinks it’s a good idea to get things moving too, she is usually right! :wink:

1 Like

If you have legally been in France for more than 10 years and have the paper trail then France will allow you to stay. I’ve posted this several times but here is a link to the law.

https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCodeArticle.do?cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006070158&idArticle=LEGIARTI000006335180&dateTexte=&categorieLien=cid

3 Likes

The Connexion article is here but you have to subscribe to get full access.

It says “All Britons living in France will need a carte de séjour after Brexit (or any transition period), the Interior Ministry has confirmed.”

I’m not really sure that is news though. As a non-EU country it seems obvious that UK citizens will need a carte de sejour the same as any other non-EU country. I’m waiting as well.

Thanks Mandy, will ask ‘Herself’ to look at that link, when She comes in from work. :slightly_smiling_face:

Agree totally - it just seems self evident that if the UK does not soften its position and agree FoM then everyone will need to apply for a CdS in due course (or exchange their “EU” CdS for the general one).

2 Likes

Paper trail…accounts…proof ….other half European but I will still need a Carte d Sejour !!!t
The prefecture at Bordeaux is a very busy place and I can understand that they are cross with all this Brexit stuff.

1 Like

So we got our Carte d Sejour just over a year ago (can’t remember the exact date) and it was fairly easy (you have to have your paper trail etc.) and the staff were really helpful especially with me as my language skills are still getting off the first run of the ladder (or maybe getting on to the ladder !!)

Having spoken to people who have recently applied etc., it seems that some of the conditions/paperwork has changed / been tightened and also it appears longer time to be able to get an appointment etc., so I am glad we have ours.

I don’t understand the reluctance on applying for the card now as it doesn’t cost and if the BREXIT no deal does not happen, then you are not bond into having to stay or your not changing citizenship etc., I just imagine the longer people leave it, the harder it will be to get an appointment, or am I missing the obvious ?

2 Likes

You are missing the obvious. There is a huge backlog of applications due to so many people panicking making demand higher than the system can deal with. There has been a lot of scaremongering on the subject but where many people are rushing to get a CdS now many more are happy to bide their time and see what will actually be required once the Brexit terms are finalised. France is not going to expel residents just because they suddenly don’t have exactly the right bit of paper, the bit of paper that yesterday they were not required to have and a bit if paper that claims to only be valid for EU citizens at that.

1 Like

We’ve been in France for more than ten years (which we can prove) so we already have the legal right to live here regardless of what happens after Brexit, however France being the paper loving country it is will undoubtedly require us to apply for a CDS but (and this is the crucial bit IMO) they cannot expel us, and this is ultimately why we’re in no rush.

4 Likes

The paranoia of which some Brits are showing with their panic to get a CdS reminds me of the time of the petrol shortages back in the 70s and early 80s when a large majority of the people queuing were just there to top their tank up and did not really belong in the queue.

Not paranoia Mick, common sense, as Terry Keeps post above :wink:

Mick we are not tppin up tanks we just; perhaps do not trust May, The Tories etc with our lives and well being!

2 Likes

Yes, Barbara and Bill but you have both been living here more than 10 years so why are you in the queue.