Connexion subscription - worth it?

So true. One of life’s (great) pleasures . . . :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I no longer subscribe. I did for a very short while and found too many errors, or advice tailored to narrow circumstances. Subsequently I was sent copies by friends who subscribe.

1 Like

You may know this already, but you don’t actually need a Kindle device to read Kindle books - as always “there is an app for that” - I read my Kindle books on an iPad and also on my phone if I’m waiting somewhere e.g. for a train. You can even use a Mac or PC if you prefer a big screen.

The only physical books I buy (or get given for Xmas and birthdays!) nowadays are large-format photography books.

1 Like

Thanks.

Out of necessity, I already have two books on my laptop, both obscure 19th works that are long out of print. Also if I’m citing a source, but can’t easily find the page number in one of my books, or want the source of a secondary quote, I often type it into Google Books and that can be very rewarding.

Otherwise though, apart from liking the physicality of a hardbound book (bookbinding is one of my many semi-redundant skills) it’s well-established that readers retain far more information if read in a book than on a screen. Also if writing non-fiction, you’re more likely to paraphrase an indirect quote than to lazily cut and paste a direct one. I try to use direct quotes very sparingly!

So I like to think of this preference not as some Luddite peculiarity - instead how one reads depends to an extent on why one is reading.

1 Like

I have an online sub to NYT but occasionally still buy a hard copy from our local Tabac because there’s something wonderful about sitting at the Café with a grand creme and a paper from a world away. Love living here!

Love the NYT, but your remote tabac may be my nearest source of a paper copy - the only friends we know in France who read the ‘real thing’ are in Paris. So have to make do with memories of Sunday morning brunches in Boston diners with more paper than food on the table (and that’s a lot of paper!).

Nowadays (apart from the publication that attracts such ire) my only physical, newspaper reading is a crumpled copy of La Depeche du Midi in a local bar with a glass of 51 after the Friday market. Mind you, love it, and get a fist bump from the proprietor, so we must be OK!

OTOH some might see this post as a sort of downward Rake’s Progress :wink:

I remember brunches + newspapers in Boston too - but even better when we went to Rhode Island for weekend and were by the beach.

Nowadays my main UK newspaper is the Sheffield Tribune. If anyone has relatives in Sheffield I recommend it.

A touch of Sheffield in the cockney girl, love it!

Didn’t know it existed! I was brought up there but am not sure whether I want to read about it now… too many memories! What sort of things does it cover?

Wednesday Vs. United, whippets, flat cap reviews, pigeon racing, cutlery tutorials…

(Sorry but you left me an open goal there!) :smiley:

1 Like

All sorts, they have a free email newletter

I am biased as it is a start-up (a year now) run by my niece and a colleague. Their aim is to be journalists, not click-baiters. Have a look. She wrote a good piece on David Blunkett.

4 Likes

This prompted me to hunt (unsuccessfully) for a late 80’s SX70 Polaroid of friends reading the NYT while sitting in the sun outside the Blue Diner waiting for a free Sunday morning table.

Second that- summer on the other Cape!

My second oldest friend is Prof of E-Lit at Brown U in Providence, RI and I’m not at all jealous of him having tenure at a wealthy private university from which he’s just had a six month paid sabbatical writing and skiing in Colorado.

1 Like

Some invaluable info here…

1 Like

They stole my exchange rate calculation I posted! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I reported them to the NUJ. Suggest you do the same !

Never reply to an unknown post when they question an alternative source of information. The question was a loaded gun attempting to stir up shizzle for the sake of it. Ignore it, delete it, block… What you think has nothing to do with anyone but you. Sad :rage:

That’s funny! Everyone in this thread, apart from you, has a history on this site :joy::scream::rofl:

Je suis content que vous ayez trouvé ça si drôle malgré le fait que je lise régulièrement le journal et ce site. De toute évidence, vous avez l’habitude de tenter de vous moquer des lecteurs !!! Mon commentaire reste 100% précis à mon humble avis :fr: Bonne nuit dors bien :sleeping:

How does one mock readers? Perhaps you mean posters?

Wow, where did that come from? I’m not sure what upset you about this thread, but with great respect, if it offends you so much why not take your own advice and ignore it?

1. We have a rule that says no personal attacks - please follow it.

2. not following rule 1) when the person you are attacking owns the site is almost certainly unwise.