Contact Lenses: prescription and buying

We would be interested in other peoples experience of this matter. My wife recently lost a contact lense (one of the hard sort that you change every 2 or 3 years). The presciption was out of date (they are only valid for two years, and are only issued by opthalmologists).
       The first opthalmologist we saw (we live near Perpignan) went through all the tests, but then informed us that she could not issue a prescription as we had not left the lenses out for three days. We had not been warned of this before the visit, and , in any case, this was the first time this had been requested ( We are now wondering if all the previous prescriptions might be wrong). Still, no charge.
        The second opthal. (lenses out for 3 days this time) did the test but we later realised that he had only done the magnification part. We rang the secretary and she said he only did that, the opticiens would do the curvature and iris diam. parts. In addition, the results were quite different from previous ones (+10.5 as opposed to a previous measurement of +14; my wife is very long sighted). Is this difference due to the fact she left her lenses out for three days? Relieved of 38 euros.
         We visited an opticien to see if we could get the other measurements, but they thought the opthal. should have done them.  So it looks like back to another opthal. ( first checking that they did all the measurements), and hope that we get some agreement about the magnification. 
       We prefer to buy them on the Internet as they are considerably cheaper for the same thing (90 euro per lens, as opposed to 150 chez the opticien.
       Looking forward to hearing any of your experiences.

Are lost contact lenses not covered by your house insurance?

Reformatted for ease of reading. @Peter_Whitfield said

We would be interested in other peoples experience of this matter. My wife recently lost a contact lense (one of the hard sort that you change every 2 or 3 years). The presciption was out of date (they are only valid for two years, and are only issued by opthalmologists).

The first opthalmologist we saw (we live near Perpignan) went through all the tests, but then informed us that she could not issue a prescription as we had not left the lenses out for three days. We had not been warned of this before the visit, and , in any case, this was the first time this had been requested ( We are now wondering if all the previous prescriptions might be wrong). Still, no charge.

The second opthal. (lenses out for 3 days this time) did the test but we later realised that he had only done the magnification part. We rang the secretary and she said he only did that, the opticiens would do the curvature and iris diam. parts. In addition, the results were quite different from previous ones (+10.5 as opposed to a previous measurement of +14; my wife is very long sighted). Is this difference due to the fact she left her lenses out for three days? Relieved of 38 euros.

We visited an opticien to see if we could get the other measurements, but they thought the opthal. should have done them. So it looks like back to another opthal. ( first checking that they did all the measurements), and hope that we get some agreement about the magnification.

We prefer to buy them on the Internet as they are considerably cheaper for the same thing (90 euro per lens, as opposed to 150 chez the opticien.

Looking forward to hearing any of your experiences.

1 Like

I assumed it was formatted as an eye test. If you could read it you had your hard contacts in and all was well. If not you may have lost one.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been wearing hard lenses for over fifty years and, since moving to France find I can get one pair a year ā€˜freeā€™ through my medical insurance, but my optician quoted ā‚¬160 for a single replacement lens -Boston XO - that I can get from the States through Eurolens for about $30. Get a prescription from your French opthalmist, but buy your preferred brand online.

I just typed it in as normal, the formatting was down to SF.

HI, Thanks for that - most useful reply so far. That is exactly what we want to do, but have you ever heard of the ā€œleave your lens out for 3 days before the testā€ thing. ?

1 Like
The return of the dreaded backtick, but with added quote box  

Yes - always when I wore hard lenses in the UK. If the contact lens diameter and radius of curvature are correct, it should not have a great effect on the required strength but badly fitting lenses can have a profound effect.

I think that starting each paragraph with spaces confused the system.

No! a reply must be at least ( characters @billybutcher is that essential?

@james might be able to tweak that.

If I really want to post a short reply I wrap it in a pair of HTML <div> tags.

Eg

<div>No!</div>

It didnā€™t confuse the system - itā€™s a feature

Starting a paragraph with four spaces switches to a quoted block which uses monospaced text.

Yeah, thatā€™s what I used to say when I was an analyst.

How do you change a bug into a feature? Document it!

I love words,=, but my initial writing is often too verbose (not just on SF) but in other contexts I edit it down. Whereas rare occasions when Iā€™ve got the urge to be v. succinct on SF, itā€™d be great to have the option of a shorter reply.

You do, just need to add a little redundant HTML :slight_smile:

Merci - only 5 charactersā€¦