Contaminated Meat

Because I have problems with gluten (hard to avoid) and eggs (also hard to avoid) I took advice from a dietician years ago.

My diet includes mussels and similar shellfish for vitamin B12 (for nerves and brain plus iron, magnesium and potassium). I try to eat apricots, avocados, raspberries, tomatoes, lemons and figs (all as fresh as possible, if not immediately picked with exception of figs that store potassium, vitamin B6 and serotonin when dried). Onions, garlic, ginger, spinach, broccoli, water cress and pumpkins are on my plate as often as possible. I use plenty of quinoa, lentils and beans. I eat plain yoghourt and fromage frais just about every day. My breads are lower gluten using buckwheat, rye, maize and whole grain flours. I eat low fat meats in moderation, so chicken breasts sometimes, well trimmed pork (yes!), boar, venison, rabbit haunch and when in other countries where they eat such things, do eat high protein bugs willingly. Oh yes, highly quality chocolate for antioxidants, mainly Swiss and Dutch ones that seem to have the highest cocoa butter content (over 70%).

That does not mean I do not eat some crap too. I'd have to be near to death to try Sugar Puffs though.

Which reminds me, I ought to be over in another group because I have a fasting day next week.

The great Muffin debate,

Should one trust manufacturer’s own nutrition charts?

This Chocoholic reckons there are between 600 and 900 hundred Calories in a Choccy Muffin

http://goo.gl/Vzr3p

Nicely played Carol.

I guess I’d better do some research if I am to be quizmaster. But off the top of my head.

a) agreed, I love butter.
b) ‘citric’ acid can cause erosion of the stomach lining ( I’m guessing )
c) loadsamoney i’ll bet. As to those two …errryak!
d) Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
e) I think the ingredients in Cocoa ( not the fats in which it is suspended ) have the effect of of accelerating the body’s metabolism, and suppresses hunger.
f) Muffins? I reckon between 700 and 900 calories each.
g) Has to be Cow farts!
h) No, I don’t think so, neither a milk, nor an adult tooth will dissolve in Coke, but don’t rub it on your gums.
i) I toast your response.

More tomoz.

Nitol!

Nicely played Carol.

I guess I’d better do some research if I am to be quizmaster. But off the top of my head.

a) agreed, I love butter.
b)‘citric’ acid can cause erosion of the stomach lining ( I’m guessing )
c)loadsamoney i’ll bet. As to those two …errryak!
d) Kellogg’s Corn Flakes
e)I think the ingredients in Cocoa ( not the fats in which it is suspended ) have the effect of of accelerating the body’s metabolism, and suppresses hunger.
f) Muffins? I reckon between 700 and 900 calories each.
g)Has to be Cow farts!
h) No, I don’t think so, neither a milk, nor an adult tooth will dissolve in Coke, but don’t rub it on your gums.
i)I toast your response.

More tomoz.

Nitol!

ok...last post for tonight....couldnt resist it Ron....a) Margarine is cr*p...worse in fact...one step from plastic and why would you eat that? b)Fruit sugar, Fructose not good for teeth, but the acid in apples is mild and doesnt cause ulcers in a healthy gut. c) loadsamoney!!!! in hindsight, wasnt Edwina just taking our focus away from her and John Major making cow eyes at eachother. d) any and all of the sugar rich varieties of cereal, take your pick...I will go for Sugar Puffs....but many others are as bad. e)No...dark bitter chocolate has an appetite suppresant quality. f) Average muffin...take a punt on around 275 to 350 calories. g) cow farts....said cows in the USA are the major factor...read that about 3 months ago. h)It is alleged that would happen...maybe a milk tooth...not an adult molar. i) Yes....and they are no better than white bread.....enjoyed that....next question please?

I was thinking abut the stuff we cram down our throats and wondered how much 'marketing' has an affect on our food intake and or purchasing habits? I have NOT researched the following. Please, without research, let us hear your comments.

a) Is it true that after years of trying to persuade the populous otherwise, that 'Margarine', as a butter substitute, due to budgetary constraints and farming difficulties during WW2, is, as it is processed, worse for the body than real Boota?

b) Eating an apple a day is in fact a dangerous habit, in that it causes stomach ulcers, and tooth rot?

c) How much money do YOU think was wasted from the 'eggs marketing board's budget whilst fire-fighting the fall out from Edwina's famous gaff?

d)Which well known breakfast cereal was it that tested the nutritional content of its product, to find that eating the carton was 'better' for you?

e)Are you surprised to find out that eating chocolate can act as a weight loss ingredient?

f)How many calories would you guess there are in the average hi street bought Muffin? ( no cheating )

g)What is the single most affective action that is responsible for Ozone layer depletion?

h) Is it true that if you dropped a human tooth into glass of COKE it would dissolve completely within 12 hours?

i)Did you know that certain brown breads a have the roughage ( bran ) stripped out, to be replaced by a brown dye?

Urban myths? or fact? Do YOU have any surprising facts about food?

hahaaha!!! nice one Michelle!

Slightly off topic Mr. Milne, but FYI Meesh crushes up Vi*gra, and sprinkles over my mug ( of Cocoa ) claims it stops me rolling out of bed.

Enlarge the parameters of your search... start with one of theose iffy ads about making her indoors happier then go for the sky. My OH prefers it if I go out for the evening... Like attending meatings (ggggrrrrrooan).

you're not!

herweep

jus' call me stumpy

Oh...was that was caused the hairy chest?? now I know...whereas my pencils always have lead in them...not much point in having a leadless pencil eh?

ah ha ...from Samuel Pepys' Diary? " His meat was well hung in the Privy"

Placing on a large, sharp, meat hook. Hanging the meat off the ground...usually about 4 feet off the ground, in a cool, dark place with constant temperature. Hanging for 30 days usually ensures that the 'meat' is 'well hung'. Well you did ask Ron!

Could someone explain "well hung" I have Googled it but I'm not satisfied with the results

yep....I really am in food heaven...now need to go on a strict diet!

when I was a poor student, Fray Bentos ( which shredded in the frying ) was a wonderful treat with beaked beans. It gave one a hairy chest and a leaded pencil.

They also did, amongst many others, brown shrimps, wh in moving from Morecambe Bay are Mongst the greatest treats in the world. Along with Lune salmon of course!

Thats where we hung ours as well...obviously an unused privy... but even so...inspectors wouldnt have been happy!