Contractor House sitter

Hi, I have an old farm house in Seine Maritime. I am gradually renovating it. It has two independent areas, each with an exterior entry, kitchen or corner kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. I am looking for a house sitter to stay in one of the independent areas, and to oversee and/or do work on the house in exchange for lodging. Thank you.

You might be better off going via a house sitter site who sort out insurances and references.

If not, this might help you determine what your actual offer is.

1 Like

All I would say is be very careful. So many squatters in France now and they have rights too especially about eviction over the winter months. You should also be wary of employing anyone to do works especially if they do not have professional qualifications for that trade and the compulsory insurance to cover it. Every week we read and hear about people who let others into their home to take care of it and then cannot get them out costing thousands in legal fees to try and do so. If you are doing renovations, then a trusted local artisan will carry out the work in your absence, 90% of all our work was done like this and the owners visiting ocassionally to see the progress and pay bills etc plus your house insurance would cover you too.

1 Like

Thank you! Very helpful!

Thanks for this suggestion. I have been looking into this option too!

I completely agree with the general gist of what you say about the risks of allowing someone to stay at your property. So just a minor point: squatters no longer get the benefit of the trĂŞve hivernale.

It’s still a bit of a bugger when these people refuse to go and in the meantime, use your furniture for firewood whilst you are absent just for good measure.

2 Likes

That may well have changed recently but look at the damage these animals leave behind, it was on the TF1 news the other night and the poor lady was beside herself when she saw the damage, not to say all the money lost both in legal and rental fees would never be recovered.

1 Like

I live in Seine Maritime (Rouen), and have recently created my company of Concierge services for second home owners in the area. I propose, among other services, the search for providers and the follow up of renovation projects. This is my website: www.laconciergeriedeflore.com. If you are interested let me know: contact@laconciergeriedeflore.com.

1 Like

Welcome Flore. Love your website, I hope that your venture succeeds :smiley:

thanks Peter!

are we to assume that you first sought permission, as required, from the site owners before advertising your services on SF?
@cat

1 Like

Hi Graham my apologies I just joined SF and wasn’t aware of this requirement.
Will do it right now! You added Cat to the loop, I assume that’s her I should ask permission to?

2 Likes

correct. and BTW welcome to SF :wink:

1 Like

thanks Graham, I have sent her a message

2 Likes

she works (hard) but I’m sure she will respond in due course.
The fact that she has not removed your post is encouraging. It’s just a “netiquette” thing…

1 Like

Hi @Flore and welcome.
Is this a company or just someone (you??) self-employed… is there a siret/siren number ???

Company number in mentions legales

1 Like

yes, I saw that but couldn’t seem to link it to anything. I’ve tried again, now… and I can see the whole thing…
probably my fingers playing up on the keyboard… :roll_eyes:

Hi Stella, it’s just me! I have created a self-employed company, siret N° is 920 685 047 00010

1 Like