Contravention sent to wrong address

A number of weeks ago, a couple of weeks before moving house, I used the ‘téléservice’ to change my Carte Grise address. As detailed here (Changing address on Carte Grise - téléservice - #8 by tc123) I never had any response as a result of using the téléservice and resorted to going directly to ANTS and changing my address that way. The little sticker for the CG arrived in a few days.

In between waiting for the téléservice to get its act together and resorting to using the ANTS service I received a parking fine. I know this because a little note was left on my car windscreen. I was parked on the street near my new address, where a permit is required most of the time. I didn’t have any other choice but to park there without a permit, given that I couldn’t apply for one because my CG was still registered to my old address. So a fine has been sent to my old address. Besides going to my old address and knocking on the door asking if they’ve had any post (not really a possibility) what can I do? Is there someone I can contact about getting the fine re-sent to the right address, so I can then go about contesting it?

surely the note left on your screen has some sort of identification/contact…?
how about speaking with the Mairie ? they should be able to say with whom you should be talking…

if the fine isn’t outrageous… why not pay it… after all, you knew you needed a permit

Have you checked your ANTS account to see if it shows up there?

Good suggestion but nothing there unfortunately.

Stella, no unfortunately it was a general ‘République Française - you’ve got a fine for not having a permit’ type note with no contact details on it. Good idea re. the Mairie, I wonder if I could also contact the police municipale given they’re the ones who hand out the fines, I think?

It’s more a question of principal really, I’d made sure to change my address well in advance of moving so that I would be able to apply for the permit as soon as possible, so it was more the failures in the system that led to me getting a fine, and I shouldn’t have to pay for that in my opinion (there was no other option - I couldn’t have parked anywhere else without parking hundreds of metres from my address, and it’s permit only and no on-street payment available).

In any case, I can’t pay the fine if I haven’t received the contravention!

Presumably, you now have a parking permit… so… trot to gendarmes/mairie/wherever and tell your tale… might get a generous response.
Incidentally, there must be a way for folk to get the permit if they can prove ownership/new address, while waiting for the computers to get up to date…
I believe one has 30 days to change address on CGrise…

I guess that’s what I’ll have to do.

I wonder if anyone knows of any way you can access fines that you’ve had without needing the actual paper contravention?

I believe gendarmes have certain powers/computers…
they can ask questions… and know (usually) who to ask…

Three times since July I have applied for the change of address sticker for my carte grise, nothing has arrived yet so don’t think those three demands were acted upon. Its a real pain having to rely on something on the internet when in the old days you just trotted along to the mairie and they would get it done for you from the local prefecture, I do miss those days.

1 Like

Apparently its called "progress":thinking:

1 Like

It’s called “centralisation” in the name of efficiency and I detest it! :frowning_face: I’ve been trying to get to talk to someone at our prefecture for months but the only means of access is via email and people get the wrong end of the stick with emails very frequently…

When did you get your car??? do you have the modern immatriculation??
one of our cars had the old-style and this caused a wobbly… we had to get a new carte grise with the modern immatriculation… quite a palaver…

My car was new in 2012 (only done 34,000km since then) new immatriculation. The sites for most things on the internet now seem to want to send you to France Connect which is where all the problems begin. I got a ref number from the ANTS application but nothing has arrived or even been acknowledged. Maybe we will try again later, can’t hurt.

Inthe words of Jim Royle “progress, my a**e”.

If you’ve got a reference number from ANTS then it’s in the system. Why not go directly to your space on ANTS and check the progress of that number…

(you will be offered France Connect for many administrative things… but it’s up to you whether or not you choose to use them… you have the choice!!) :wink:

1 Like