Contrôle Technique - any grace period?

My ageing car is coming up for its Contrôle Technique on 9th May.

I have had a few issues with the car of late.

Being pessimistic, of it were to fail how long do you get to fix issues?

Am I covered until 9th May even if it has failed a couple of weeks before?

You normally get 2 months, less for major defects

1 Like

At my car’s last CT, the techniciens told me that if any faults are identified, you have two months to correct the faults. If you present the car for retest before the two month period expires, they will only test the items on which it failed. After two months, a complete retest would be required.

2 Likes

Is that 2 months from 9th May (original expiry of CT) or from the new test.

During these 2 months can you use the car as normal?

IIRC the re-test fee within the specified time is much less than a full test fee so worth getting it done within the time frame allowed.

IIRC the test centre remove the old CT vignette and you are required to carry the fail notice with you in the car if challenged.
I guess it’s really up to the seriousness of the issue which caused the failure really and your degree of feeling of responsibility.

EDIT: just noted @Mark reply which is probably more current than mine as I haven’t had a failure in some years now. We take our car to our local garagiste to check it over first and they take it to the testing station for us - saves all the faff!

1 Like

Its from the test date, and you can drive as normal - they put a vignette in the windscreen with a 2 month, rather than 2 year expiry and this is changed to a 2 year expiry (from the original test date) when it passes.

2 Likes

Presume you are aware that test has tightened up considerably, recently My 2008, volvo, failed on emissions, due to new levels. Tester said some 60% were now failing, same way. My wifes peugot, is 28 years old, and has always been perfect. He said, that new regs, might be a problem, next time.

Agreed John. Our wonderful 20 year-old merc had to go for that reason. 100,000 miles and only just run in. :grin:

What a shame. I had fearful trouble with the volvo emissions, mine has auto/ manual gearbox. He told me to take it on a 30 kilometre run, use the manual gears, and take to high revs. Did all that, (poor car), then took it back, and he tried again, still failed, just. He took it round their yard, at high revs, brought it back, and it just scraped through. Know what to do now, put a bottle of goop in, regularly, and run it up, before next test. Our peugot had almost 80 dents from massive hailstones last year. Insurance wanted to write it off. I insisted on an expert, as car is like new. He took one look, called it a Classic Car, and authorised repair, at main dealer. At 25 ish euros, per dent, i am expecting a monthly increase in premiums.

1 Like

Depends on the fault.

A contre-visit you’ll probably get 2 months to fix the problem and get it re-tested.

If the problem is more serious you may just get a certificate that expires at the end of the day so you can get the car home or to a garage. If the problem is really serious you won’t even get that.

According to our CT station there is no dispensation for taking a car without a CT to be tested, but you would be unlucky if you were stopped and fined on the way to a CT appointment.

Annoying, I guess the only option is to put a car without a CT on a trailer to get it to a CT station.

At least the British arrangements provides a more convenient way out of the “how to get a car without an MOT, MOT’d” catch-22.

Searching and this was the closest thread to what I was looking for, but didn’t quite answer my question.

My CT expired yesterday and I have an appointment at the CT centre I use next Monday. The CT person gave me a ticket with the appointment details on it and said I would probably be ok if I showed this if stopped.

Does anyone happen to know what the actual position is i.e would I be ok if stopped, with expired CT, but appointment booked?

1 Like

Just checking if I’ve got this right. A new car needs its first CT after 4 years, is that right?

Yes that’s correct.

1 Like

I think the date is written on your carte grise

1 Like

Don’t worry, you have the proof its going in. OH got stopped and forgot his last one was 9months out of date, no problem, get it done and come and show us the paperwork at the main gendarmerie. They got better things to worry about that an overdue CT these days on a car.

1 Like

Indeed - there’s a little sticker on the carte grise (or there wasin my case). I’ve just had my 4 year CT and a new sticker with the next date has now appeared on my carte grise.

Can’t find one on mine, or any date, that’s why I asked to make sure.

I’ve just double checked my carte grise and what I said before isn’t completely accurate (sorry!)

The date for the first CT is on line X1 where it says “Visite avant 24/6/2023” and then when the CT happened they put a sticker on the back of the document, giving the date of the next one. There’s a grid of little boxes on the back ready for them to do that.

3 Likes

we get a post card from test centre for both vehicles 2 weeks before they are due, with telephone contact number. All very civilised.