Contrôle Technique - any grace period?

Blimey, I didn’t know that, almost as much as I paid for the original test (€50). :astonished:

Shows you how long it is since I had a fail though. :innocent:

1 Like

10€ is the basic recheck price… and that’s what you were charged.

The only other option was to raise the cost of the initial CT (!!!), so that Everyone paid more (and who knows what the price would be then… ) .
But this was deemed unfair to all those who don’t have “failures/problems”… so that idea never came to fruition (thankfully).

Let’s face it… every re-test uses time/equipment etc etc… and has to be paid for.

My Rangie failed its last CT because of front window tints ( it had previously passed the last 2 with the tints, where I used to live).

I wasn’t charged anything for the contre visite

Then you were fortunate… when I said “has to be paid for”… I was meaning that the person’s professional expertise and whatever tests … has a worth… and doing a retest means the Prof isn’t doing something else which could be earning money …
The Prof will still have all his bills to pay… :wink: :wink:

The law changed in 2018, so that contra-visites could be charged…
Obviously if your guy didn’t reckon it worth charging you… fair enough… he presumably makes enough money already… :wink: :wink:

She lives to fight another year or two. Good result.

Important to do it when there’s 1/4 of a tank left not more. Run till hot, then toss in the Bardahl or whatever you’ve been given, drive as prescribed. It may run very hot but that’s the idea.

Do it day before or on morning of/on way to test. I may have replenished fuel slightly before the test or gone into the test with it just touching the red on fuel gauge, I can’t remember.

Know which fast road eg dual carriageway or short motorway stretch you’re going to use and toss the stuff in on top of the 1/4 tank at the beginning of the route.

My garage, a proper working garage for people like me, told me do the driving routine before test, then every 6 months or 3-4 tanks whichever comes first.
This gives a DPF a good chance of clearing. Doing the routine with tbe product got me through 2 MoT’s and I’m sure would have got me through at least another 1, probably more. But a combination of Peugeot electrics and big end ( I think that’s the English word for the part) killed the car.

I still have 3 or so cans of the (British trade brand) stuff. If anyone wants it at cost price PM me and I will look for it. I stocked up and the garage kindly let me buy them through them at trade price and they said this was the best. These products are basically acetone I think.

Just seen this, well done, glad it passed.

Thanks for the detailed information @KarenLot :wink:

(I was a bit late though) :frowning:

Sitting in the garden more like, I’ll disconnect the battery this morning so there is no repeat of re-charging the next time.

It’s good to have a backup when you are entirely out of reach of any public transport and shops etc. (even the bar has closed here) and I could let it go but I wouldn’t get a justifiable (to me) price and the high mileage would put people off. So for around €100 a year to keep it basically insured it might as well sit where it is.

Lots of happy memories in it too, it only had 66 thousand on the clock when we bought it in August 2008, and, if it wasn’t for my need of automatic in stop/start big city traffic (left knee and right shoulder beginning to give too much pain), I would still be using it to this day. :grinning:

1 Like