Contrôle technique coming up, but the van and I will be in Turkey

indeed, and just for information that’s called the “loi Hamon” (that law which allows you to change whenever you’d like within a month notice as long as the policy is 1 year old).

Thanks Tory, doing my/our best to keep up with the lovely reputation we tend to have here. Hopefully things will down a bit between Covid and Brexit what a (couple of?) year(s)!

1 Like

Hi Fabien. I was going to email you directly, but maybe this interests others.

Seedmart wrote above: “Tbh, covid issues aside, I’m not sure that you’re at all legally entitled to be driving, as a visitor, a friend’s French registered vehicle around Europe, possibly unless said friend is in the vehicle with you. Or have I misread the situation?”

Can you shed some light on this? Do you know of any legal prohibition to an insured French driver lending their vehicle to a friend, either based on length of time, or nationality, or anything else?? Thanks!

No restrictions whatsoever (except if the policy says otherwise but the “by default” settings on French insurance policy is to cover all drivers).

The only restriction that may come to mind (as far as I’m concerned) is the legal ability to drive in France. In the example of the USA, some states don’t have agreements with France and therefore you need to have an international license to be legally allowed to drive here so unless they have they would not be insured as the insurance company doesn’t cover people not legally allowed to drive.

Kind regards,

2 Likes

Super helpful, Fabien! Thanks.

1 Like