Controle Technique motorbikes/quads/sans permis- Update

On a different tack. What about speeding in France? I have never overtaken a motorbike in my car but every motorcycle that overtakes me is always breaking the speed limit and disappears rapidly out of sight.

I sometimes wonder if speed limits apply to motorcyclists.

I’m an old retired BMW biker and have nearly always broken speed limits. Never been caught, but why do the authorities seem to turn a blind eye – or do they?

I spent a lot of years on scooters up to a big heavy (but sadly not hugely powerful) Yamaha in London and Home Counties. Including quite long commuting. Wiithout doubt the standard of “driving” has to be so much higher amongst motorcycle riders just to survive.

When I did my obligatory terrorist threat awareness course at an oilco that might have sent me to Iraq, the satnav failed to find the country venue one morning so I was an hour late. Company rules were attendance had to be for every hour so the ex-Army guys were supposed to fail me for that.

They passed me though and it was probably because I’d said learning how to spot IED’s and debus rapidly out of a vehicle that was being shot at was pretty similar to commuting on a motorbike in London. Because every week 2 people tried to kill me. And if I’d had the 2, I’d still keep a lookout in case it was a bonus week.

1 Like

A whole bunch of us do an annual motorcycle trip to a French hotel every year, typically about 3 hours from Calais, and one of the guys on his first trip decided he would show us old farts how fast his Fireblade was. Unfortunately, he picked the moment that we were passing two gendarme motorcyclists parked on the hard shoulder who gave chase. It turned out that said laddie didn’t bring a single piece of documentation related to his bike, not even his driving licence, but, by the time we caught up, they were sharing handshakes and taking selfies, with the miscreant allowed to go on his way without penalty.

On a single piece of anecdata, I think you’re right.

I would imagine if you get speed-trapped by a camera while on a motorbike you would still get a ticket - maybe in person motorcycle cops will be more lenient, as @JohnH mentioned.

Many moons ago, I had parked my bike in order to pop into a newsagents (in Birmingham, not that that matters), and came out to find a West Midlands Fuzz motorcycle cop giving my bike a close inspection.

I immediately went into semi-panic “what have I done now?” mode, but it turned out he was just interested in my Yoshimura 4-into-1 aftermarket exhaust system, and wanted to know what I thought of it!! :smiley: :smiley:

I think most of my speeding was done before there were too many speed traps around. Been done 3 times now in my car over the last 5 years or so even though I try to keep to whatever the speed limit is. I use cruise control every time I go out, but it’s easy to drift a few kms faster in a car without cruise control.

I think a speed violation remains on police records for 2 years before you are pardoned!

So far, the articles I have seen only refer to motos. Does anyone know whether quads and sans permis are also included?

Not in France, if you do not re-transgress in 6 months you get the point back, but if you do, it lasts for many year. Much more than the 3 I thought it was.

I think they are included

1 Like

Updated info 13th April 2024…

Wonderful news. Perhaps it will help to reduce the incredible amount of noise that some of the little bikes make.

1 Like