Conundrum. What would you do?

We had Irish friends round for lunch. They live in Deux Sevres. They are a bit worried. Their house is a semi with next door. Next door is actually a larger house with a smaller one attached. Owned by French. All has been well and all get on fine. Although myself I was a bit disconcerted when my friend told me her neighbour asked to tutoyer within 24 hours. Anyway the French neighbours have said they are going to create a gite in the smaller house without getting consent. Up to them. However the gite does not have any outside space so they are giving it their front garden. Being a semi our friends who use their front garden for shady evening meals are worried. Privacy is one if their concerns. Another is noise from holidaymakers. I didn’t know what to advise. Suggested do nothing right now and see what they can find out. What to do?

There is nothing you can advise - not your job to do so. Quite frankly, they can’t do anything. If you’re thinking should they report their neighbours for not getting consent, forget it. Do that and they’ll be living next to neighbours who far from tutoying will be making their lives wretched.

See what happens. Gites are two a penny at the moment and rarely full. How small is the smaller house? Maybe the gite will only take couples? If they book families in July and August then your friends may need to go away.

This may sound harsh, but quite frankly if privacy and lack of noise are two things that are important to them why on earth did they buy a semi? Obviously if it becomes intolerable they may have to move.

Alienating neighbours in a semi situation is the last thing on earth they should do.

8 Likes

Very little consent needed for a gîte in a rural area attached to someone’s maison principal. So not really relevant whether they have or haven’t asked as unlikely to be denied.

I think if they are friendly with tu-toing neighbours the only thing to do is to say it would be nice if they could reinforce the privacy between the neighbouring outdoor spaces. We have a gîte and asked our neighbours if we could add a privacy screen to the fence between the gîte garden and their garden.

Unless they intend to stick a pool in the front garden (which will need permission!!) as long as not a huge gîte it will probably be no different from normal neighbours.

1 Like

Some people are very relaxed and they know anglophones don’t get the nuance anyway :slightly_smiling_face: and nobody French will think it is any of their business what their neighbours do unless it actually breaks any laws.

3 Likes

I’d let it ride and see how it pans out. With all the accomodation around, they may not get any customers or very little to worry about plus they also have to live there as well so won’t want to be annoyed either( the french people that is). People paying for holiday cottages want outside space but a front garden might put them off especially if a road nearby. No good the Irish kicking up a fuss, they are the foreigners here and things can get nasty as we have all read from people posting on forums.

Thank you all. It is pretty much what I thought too. Best to sit tight and see what happens.

I didn’t mean advice as in legal, just general opinion giving to friends

I don’t really know but I think it was because they met the neighbours before buying and felt they were of a similar age and outlook

Think that is a great idea and will suggest it to them

Reckon that is spot on as the French neighbours won’t want noise all night outside what is their kitchen / living / dining room, which is where I believe the terrace / garden is

Thanks again to all

1 Like