Cornflour needed

It is to go with it, not the ingredients.

The hunt continues.

Oh… good grief… I thought it was in it…

OK… to go with a walnut tarte … a dollop of fromage blanc would be my choice… get a good quality one and its slight bite will go well with the sweetness of the tarte.

yummy

Quenelle of mascarpone and give the bit of nut tart to someone else :wink:
I put eau de noix in sweet nutty things. You make it with alcool a 45° (alcool pour fruits) and soak chopped-up green walnuts in it for a month before adding sugar for another 2 months then filtering bringing down the alcohol level and bottling

1 Like

I really would try the fromagerie stall at your local market, maybe the pasteurised version if they have one as slightly more neutral in taste…it’s closer to a double cream than the supermarket crème epaisse.

I’d completely forgotten I’d bottled some green walnuts in alcohol months ago! Not sure what will be left now…

1 Like

Probably just a headache!

Use 30% cream with a stabilizer and whip I think very cold.

You can also whip 30% cream and mix it with. Marscapone cheese, sugar and vanilla.

Whipping cream in UK is 40% , Double cream is 48% fat, difficult to find in France

What is a stabiliser for cream?

You can buy cream stabilizer in most supermarkets, usually found in the section with levure chimique (baking powder)and sucre de Vanille (vanilla sugar). Comes in the same size of sachet as the baking powder( 11g )and you mix it with a litle water (1 tablespoon) Each sachet will be enough to thicken 200 ml of cream and be a suitable filling for gateau or the top of a trifle.

I normally buy the cream as a UHT in 200 ml boxes as it is long life and doesn,t need to kept in a fridge although i do. it needs to be cold when whipped

What is it made of?
I have seen the packets in German supermarkets (they love trashy baking shortcuts in Germany) and avoided them just because they look dodgy to me, next time I shall look.
I don’t like the levure chimique in France, never have, I use Borwicks or UK supermarket own brand, they taste very different (to me at least) because theydon’t use the same chemicals or the same proportions.

I looked up cream stabiliser: guar gum or xanthan gum or modified starch+ dextrose or gelatin. No thanks, I’ll stick to creme entière fluide and mascarpone :grin:

1 Like

Hi Veronique,

Yes, food chemistry at its synthetic finest :slight_smile:

Working on an advertising shoot for some food product, we had to include apple pie with a great spiral of ‘whipped cream’ as served at places like the ‘Angus Steakhouse’, now ‘Beefeater’ I s’pose.

There was an Angus Steakhouse hard by the studio so I went there to ask how we would make the cream spiral. They showed us the device that makes them, I went up to Ferrari’s in Soho and bought one.

It came with instructions. What amazed us was the time allowed - mere seconds!- from making up the cream mixture - with water! - to getting it in front of the diner before the whole thing collapsed into a watery slush. Now you know :smile:

1 Like

This has gone from cornflour to cream. Back to cornflour, please, and some cooking advice.

I have tried and failed to make crispy calamari. It either comes out soggy or a rubbery ring covered in a layer of white grit. I even bought a kitchen thermometer to get the oil the right temp.

How’s it done? Some insist on an egg, others do it - I’ve seen them on YT - with no egg.

And back to cornflour again…I find Felicity Cloake’s method with cornflour works for me

4 Likes

Actually not synthetic - heavily processed. Guar gum is made from beans, xanthan gum is a fermented form of cornsyrup.
There are many food additives that are natural. Carrageen made from seaweed is often used instead of gelatine…
Agar agar - root of a tropical plant works just like a super strong cornstarch…

With great dollops of alioli, patatas bravas and a few beers. :yum:

2 Likes

Yes, I still avoid them unless they are the only option! If you make eg an uncooked cheesecake with mascarpone and lemonjuice etc you don’t actually need anything to make it hold its shape.

1 Like

Thanks! I have just found some in the freezer!

Hi
Re cream …I have used Dr Oeteker creme fix from mainline supermarket and yesterday I bought chantifix in E leclerc…yet to use

A friend found in Super U a blue/grey carton ( like the size of a carton of milk) called creme professional that’s the nearest to double cream without making creme chantilly (someone has said President do a thick cream)
Happy Hunting!!

1 Like