Coronavirus - French Govt - et al - Latest Info

Not sure if anyone else has posted this but here goes…

https://www.thelocal.fr/20200309/coronavirus-what-restrictions-are-there-on-daily-life-in-france

3 Likes

It’s a reasonable overview of what is on the go… very helpful I would have thought to anyone who is not able to follow French news …

2 Likes

I think the webmaster at Disneyland Paris might be getting a telling off! Their website has still not changed and is saying they are remaining open…

I imagine that the communications team has to draft an announcement and the wording has to be approved by the president and/or whoever before it can be posted on the website. A webmaster hasn’t got the authority to post something as major as that off his own bat, he doesn’t decide company policy.
But they should have got an announcement out by now.

Or the head of comms forgot to tell the webmaster…

It’s sad that very soon all newspapers, letters, postcards, websites, forums like this one will all be replaced by tweets, whatApp groups and facebook…

Have you heard something that I have missed… ??? :thinking:

That is so typically French.
I am sure that they think if they have thought the change happens automatically!

No meetings/gatherings of 100 people or more…

Just the sign of the times that Disney - a pretty sizeable organisation - tweets out news rather than updating it’s website first. But then they are American so follow where their orange leader goes…

Ah… I’ve not seen any Disney Tweets… just what Google offered…

I read Sud Ouest news on-line… and then looked on Google when you queried the accuracy of Sud Ouest reporting… :upside_down_face:

Isn’t she lovely, Covid-19? Are they all as gorgeous as this, or has this one just dressed up in her best for the occasion?

Do not know if it has been posted before, but one for the numbers crunchers
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Many viruses have a quite beautiful (if occasionally sinister) appearance.

I rather like bacteriophages - and they might be the next “big thing” in treatment of bacterial infections.

1 Like

coronavirus
By now, practically everyone in the world must have seen this picture. On television they have even animated it so it is seen to rotate slowly like some alien death star on a mission to destroy the World.
It must be 60 years ago that I was shown an electron microscope and it was explained that the shape of tiny things could be seen by reflection or transmission of electron beams to produce what were, in effect, no more than enlarged shadow pictures.
So what you are seeing is a fake. I just checked. Despite all the great advances in technology in the intervening years, there is no such thing as electron microscope colour cinematography.
To put things in perspective, think of it as an artist’s impression that pictures the virus in the same way as Tutankhamun’s death mask is meant to represent what is inside the bandages.

Here is a little poem to cheer everyone up -

The Microbe
by Hilaire Belloc

The Microbe is so very small
You cannot make him out at all,
But many sanguine people hope
To see him through a microscope.
His jointed tongue that lies beneath
A hundred curious rows of teeth;
His seven tufted tails with lots
Of lovely pink and purple spots,
On each of which a pattern stands,
Composed of forty separate bands;
His eyebrows of a tender green;
All these have never yet been seen–
But Scientists, who ought to know,
Assure us that they must be so …
Oh! let us never, never doubt
What nobody is sure about!

5 Likes

Phage therapy is super popular in the former Soviet Union, I saw a fantastic Russian documentary dubbed into German about it, years ago - I cannot see why it has taken so long for the West to accept it, vested interests and ideology I suppose. Phages are marvellous.

2 Likes

Another set of statistics which might help give some perspective

At last, I can identify the Schengen states …

Panic buying is happening in various regions… I’ve checked our pantry and we have no immediate needs.

Bacteriophage seems to have developed a physique precisely suited to stand over the plug hole of your bath and glower at you.

Google Photos

We’re doomed. But it is a pretty sight.