Correct--is that damning with faint praise?

We were discussing restaurants and one was described as “correct.” That sounded to us as though it would be a good choice, but as the conversation went on, we noticed that our friends were more enthusiastic about every other restaurant that came up. None of the others was described as “correct.”

Now we’re wondering if “correct” means “just acceptable” or if it’s a polite way of saying “don’t waste your time and money.” How do you interpret “correct” for restaurants, hotels, etc?

Correct is OK, in general terms, food, value, cleanliness etc it means you can’t complain about it but it’s nothing to write home about.

1 Like

For me “correct” means that it has a correct balance of price and quality…and usually used for average price/average quality places that are acceptable but not much more. For a place that was superlative quality, but equally eye watering prices for example you would use a different phrase.

We go on trips with a French club… and food/drink is high on the agenda.

From my experiences … “et le prix est correct” is the icing on the cake… after we have had a most glorious meal… :hugs: (this relates to high prices as well … in other words - good value)

They are quick to find fault if something is below par or overpriced…:zipper_mouth_face:

(of course, different areas of France may well view the phrase differently…)

There’s a restaurant near here called Restaurant Adéquat, never quite fancied bothering to eat there!

3 Likes

What a shame… You have probably missed out on a delicious meal.

Sadly, Brits sometimes wrongly put the English connotation onto a French word…

https://www.ladequate.fr/decouvrez-ladequate

This may not be the restaurant you are talking about… :thinking: but I am sure you will get my drift…

There are also Bars/Bistros, across France, which use the name Adéquat’… they seem to get very good revues.

I liked Jan’s post as I believed Jan was joking, (with the exclamation mark) this is where a smiley emoji may have been helpful. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Correct!!! That’s the one. Clearly l need to go there next time l’m on my way to Limoges. I’m aware of linguistic faux amis, so asked a French friend about the word, and he defined it more or less as l would the English version. Hence l didn’t visit.

Seems that Jan was not joking… looking forward to reading her review when she is next in the Limoges area…:hugs:

here are the latest on Trip Advisor

1 Like

Unbelievable!
So if applied to the UK would one expect to find a fox and hounds in the pub or a hungry Hippo waiting eagerly inside a restaurant of the same name to be fed!:woman_facepalming:t3:
The list is endless ( and quite funny really) You are right people shouldn’t directly translate where French is concerned, it does not work like that! :rofl:

:grin::grin: Not so many years gone by, a “Fox & Hounds” pub in the UK… would have a stuffed fox (yuk) or more likely - a picture of one with or without hounds… :wink: … as well as hunting horns, whips whatever adorning the walls…

But fox-stew would not be on the menu… :crazy_face:

Thank goodness for that…but I’m sure it would have been delicious! :lying_face: lol

We have a “Drug Sport” bar in Aubusson :joy::joy::sunglasses:

2 Likes

I remember when we thought Première Classe really did mean “first-class” - chuckled when we realised it was “cheap and cheerful” instead.

and… an “occasion” is surely something special - but no…:thinking:

I’ve stayed at Camping Pong

1 Like

That was why I tested my understanding of the word with a French friend, Tracey.