Cost of installing pellet burner

We’re thinking of installing a pellet (or perhaps a pellet/wood) stove.

What would be a rough figure for installation, including the stove itself? The house has no chimney, so the exhaust vent would have to be through the wall I think.

We bought one last year from https://www.poeleaboismaison.com and have been very pleased with it. They have a wide range of styles and massive discounts. We paid 66% of the list price and got our usual electrician to fit it . The job took one day and was fairly straightforward , given the inlet/exhaust pipe had to pass through a 1m thick mediaeval stone wall. The venting kit was included as a special offer.

Our stove is the model below but the venting is through the wall about a foot above the top of the stove The stove is on the middle floor so the pipe exited quite high up… We’ve found the stove silent and efficient, There is an optional wi-fi control facility, but we had no need of it.
https://www.poeleaboismaison.com/poele-a-granules-etanche-emaflam-nala-9-kw-blanc.html

We used our regular electrician rather than a certified fitter because we wouldn’t have been eligible for the tax rebate, but that aspect is worth checking out. Altogether including venting kit, labour and a large travertine hearthstone, the cost was around €2500. By contrast our log burner (on the ground floor) cost three times as much to install because the chimney had to run through three storeys and across the attic

1 Like

Thanks. I like the idea of running the exhaust through the upper floor - free heat - but you’ve confirmed my feeling that it would add to the cost.

We did that with the log burner because we couldn’t use the two old chimneys, but it’s turned out well, as we never need to heat the top floor in winter. Frankly I was shocked by the cost , but it was exceptionally hight due to the nature of the building and its site - the lower two floors are built into a schist cliff.

We ran the log burner’s pipe and ducting through the attic space with ceiling vents into the bedrooms -
that was cheap using a simple system that most DIY stores stock.

1 Like

We went to a local company that was recommended, cost for 1 pellet stove, 1 log burner both around 12kw output, chimney liners and installation just over 10,000 euros.

1 Like

Here is the invoice for the installation of our poêle à granulés last year. The only ‘refinement’ was a pipe from the poêle in our living room into the dining room next door, to ensure that room too could be heated.

5459€ including 690€ for labour.

Thanks, @George1 and everyone else.

Now I need to seek local recommendations, @Ancient_Mariner. Judging by the last agricultural fair, there is no shortage of suppliers :slight_smile:

One last thought - we bought online where stoves are usually much cheaper, but we did so in the prior knowledge that we had two different people who could install it. Wouldn’t recommend online purchasing unless you know in advance that this is the case as local suppliers are unlikely to want to install a third party’s stove.

2 Likes

Independant local fitter?

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more, Mark… We definitely paid more for our poêle than if we’d accepted various online quotes we were offered. We preferred to buy from a reputable local supplier, who has come out numerous times subsequently, for free, to deal with our embarrassing lack of understanding of how to programme our poele. He also turns out to be a qualified electrician and plumber who has come out the same day to sort out those separate issues also. His wife even managed to locate the owner of a stray dog we picked up several kms away!

For me, good after sales service is a real attraction, plus developing a trusting relationship with a local artisan…

4 Likes

Agreed about online too. It would have been about 60% of the cost online, but the local stove fitters were only willing to ft stoves they supplied.

We’re actually still having some issues because our stoves were fitted in the wrong rooms, and although they have been switched, one chimney needs a new liner because it’s too small (woodstove needs a much bigger pipe). They want to talk to us when we visit in a couple of weeks. :worried:

1 Like

You will find, despite what’s written on the facture, by law it is now guaranteed for 2 years from the issue date

2 Likes

As are all products sold in the EU. Many a battle won on behalf of a customer against a pool shop and they dont like it up em Captain.