Cost of living crisis solved...... just earn more money

Not now John - I’m writing this wearing my completely free glasses!
(Macron, at least, does get some things right!)

Ohhh. I might pop in for an eye test then.

The choice of frames is limited - but I like mine. (Actually I liked the ‘free’ range more than the designer ranges.)

Don’t know why, but ‘free’ always tends to look a little more attractive :grin:

1 Like

Likely though that the UK inflation rate feeds through and ends up affecting the exchange rate… ends up the same bad result for anyone needing to spend UK funds abroad

And I can now hear with my completely free hearing aids :+1:

1 Like

Did you have to pay first, then get the money back ???

@Stella, No, very slick set up.
Some have said you need a prescription from your doctor but others not.
I did and my doctor was more than happy to do so writing along the lines of 'he can’t hear, test his hearing.
Went to Ecoutervoir who have shops in most towns.
1900 euros of which carte Vitale paus 480 euros and your mutuel pays 1420 euros so only fully funded if you have a mutuel.
After signing a few papers Ecoutervoir are paid directly by your mutuel so you don’t have to pay out to get back.
It really is a win win.
They are renewable every 4 years in the same way.

1 Like

That’s good JohnBoy, my problem is slightly different, I can hear but have difficulty distinguishing different speakers and end up understanding none. But that payment from your Mutuel is more than I pay them in a year, can’t see them standing that for long.

But it does demonstrate why the 2 different aids I have bought ‘over the counter’ in recent years, did not work at all, as they were only a tiny fraction of that cost.

I don’t think they have an option not to as Macron has decreed it.

Neither do I but does that stop them jacking up the premium for the next year?

I’ll have to investigate further… an elderly friend has parted with several thousand euros and is “expecting/hoping” to get paid back (somehow/sometime)… but I think the tiny-in-ear rechargeable ones, which she was persuaded to buy are NOT covered and perhaps this is the hiccup.

Ah well… thanks for your reply as it will encourage OH to get “seen to” (I hope)

Technology has moved on a pace from the days when a large battery pack sat behind the ear and the user saying just a minute while I turn up the volume!
The battery and its receiver is minute and sits behind your ear while a very thin transparent plastic wire follows the contour of your ear to where the microphone sits in your ear. I have been reluctant to wear them for years as didn’t want to look old but having relented you really cannot see them unless you know they are there.
They really are a game changer.

1 Like

Just announced that the UK energy cap is set to rise to £2800 in October.

They’ll claim it’s all just a pre-determined formula, just how things are etc - but they discarded the triple lock when it was not convenient for them, I’m sure they could freeze the cap if they wished.

But they won’t :rage:

2 Likes

Well, it’s a mystery to me why she’s had to pay… she’s in her 90’s and doesn’t have enough income to pay tax (so I reckon she’s entitled to enjoy some help with her health needs.)
I’ve been running through everything I can find on the subject and there was one which “warned” of the rechargeable battery ones being outside the 100% Free bit … but presumably things have evolved since last I looked.

1 Like

And the Local Election Results.

There is a degree of independence for Ofgem so if the government were to intervene then you might as well close all regulators.

If the government wanted it could work with the industry to keep the current cap without more suppliers going bust.

What is missing here is political will, not ability.

3 Likes

Yes, I know that… having checked lots of sites.

My elderly friend went to get the Free ones but was misled and advised to have rechargeable battery ones, which are Class 2… no-one explained that by agreeing to the suggestion of the salesperson… my friend would end up paying money she could ill afford. She kept being told she would be reimbursed… which has not happened.