Cost of validating VLS-TS

Like (it seems) most people trying to cope with post Brexit beaurocracy I am trying to validate my VLS-TS within the required 3 month period. I am an Englishman married to a French citizen so I was a bit surprised when I tried to validate on-line and was requested to pay £200 in order to do so. Is this correct? It seems to have increased a lot… I have previously heard of a £50 charge.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

Yes, a VLS-TS is €200. There is also a €25 droit de timbre as well as the €200 tax. It’s been around that for non-europeans for quite a while.

Thank you Jane. It’s just particularly galling when I think what Brexit has stolen from us Remainers.
Regards Piers.

If you are renewing a WARP card it is free….

I’m a bit confused now coz I thought the visa for family members of EU citizens was ‘free’ ? - I remember a whole thread on this where everyone agreed the poster (had Irish wife?) did not have to pay 200€ but did anyway as is his right. Though there was some sort of time limit to apply (3 months?) and that had been exceeded? Or have I lost the plot?

There is a difference between a visa (that you generally apply for outside France, and which is not needed for EU spouses) and a carte de séjour.

Welcome, @Piers311 !

Well remembered. A thread never to be forgotten! Geoffrey was applying for a (free of charge!) CdS as the spouse of an EU citizen living in France. My first reaction when reading @Piers311 post was why didn’t he apply for the same. I’m assuming the reason is that Piers is not living in France, and is spending between 4-12 months a year here. As the spouse of a French citizen he can apply, and obviously has done so for the Visa Long Sejour-Titre de Séjour (aka VLS-TS). Unfortunately as Jane points out, you are charged for this, unlike the freebie EU CdS.