Cotisations sociales and teaching

hello everyone, I 've been asked to give occasional lessons in English and I wanted to ask if I need to create an auto-entrepreneur status or if all I need to do in terms of tax and social contributions is fill in my tax form and complete form 2042 annually. Creation of auto-entrepreneur status seems a lot of bother for an activity which will be worth about 4000€ a year at most. Thanks for your comments…

1 Like

Yes you need to be an auto-entrepreneur, (or other set up) and AE is by a million miles the easiest and cheapest for your activity (I used to teach and translate as an AE) it really is a doddle and doesn’t cost anything to set up. Also, compared to the dark days of 2009 or when ever it was set up (I was the first in the Cantal to go AE!) nobody knew much about it, now there’s so much help and info out there and for free, you don’t need anybody to set it up for you. Loads of AEs here on sfn who are up to date who’ll be able to advise more :wink:

1 Like

thank you. And do you know the percentage payable in cotisations on this type of activity. Is is 22% or thereabouts?

I seem to recall reading that it increases in stages over the years to the 22% rate, when combined with the ACRE:

I paid roughly 25% (cotisations et impôts) which is so much easier and often far cheaper than the mainstream set-ups (where you pay cotisations regardless of turnover or profit/earnings) which is why it still is seen a bit as underhand competition by some in the mainstream!

1 Like

Hi Roger,
I am an AE for teaching, although since Covid, I no longer earn anything through it. I also benefited from the ACRE through Pôle emploi.
My teaching income is now purely through the CESU scheme which I prefer. Its late so I’m not going to go into it now but if you haven’t yet found the answers to your questions, let me know and I’ll help you.

Like Andrew said it’s approx 25% for impôts and social charges per year. Has to all be paid quarterly thru URSSAF site.
Relatively easy to setup micro-entrepreneur status online. Used to be called auto-entrepreneur.
Been teaching here 8 years via status. Pretty easy. Be sure to declare income every quarter even if zero earnings! Otherwise they fine you. If you declare. Zero earnings for two years you lose status. Bit of retirement built up in the end.
Hope this helps!

1 Like