Cotton / string dishcloths

Hi
I’m after a load of string dishcloths - the type you can boil up for years - does anyone have a source or even know what they are called in French please?
Thank you!

does this help?

Sorry.
No idea what they are called… but I bought some recently (before lockdown as it happens) …just saw them in the local supermarket in the section where all the synthetic sponges/dusters/gloves etc are hanging and thought… that’s what I want… as I was/still am trying to use stuff which is more back to nature…

Just dashed down to see if there is any wrapping/info… but no.

It’s 30cm x 30cm… grey/white loosely-knitted string and I shall be buying some more when I get out and about again…

(it might be called essuie-tout which covers a multitude of sins or a lavette ??)

2 Likes

Do I look like a woman capable of knitting my own dishcloths… :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Perfect - thank you! I’ll have a look in local supermarket and at least I can now search online! Xx

Well, if @james is capable of making a BBQ… who knows what you are capable of :rofl:

Actually James is probably way more capable of knitting a dishcloth than I am!

2 Likes

What fresh hell is this?
Actually I think I have seen such things in my local bobo-parisien-ecolo-shop*, (knitted by a girls’ coop in Nepal or Laos from bamboo fibre in tasteful pastel colours) between the handmade tawashi and the reusable sanpro. They can be yours for a mere arm or leg for 3, 15x15cm squares.

• I call it ‘chez le bio’ but cro-magnon man calls it the b-p-e-s
4 Likes

Ha ha - yes I am of the life’s to short to knit a dishcloth school of thought!

I am however, fed up even the micro fibre ones that do not seem to last especially long. Mind you, it could be because of the dishcloth abuse they suffer at the hands of Mr H. And the son.

1 Like

Also guilty of that (or so i am told)

1 Like

I’d forgotten string dishcloths and this has jogged my memory. They were, I recall, grey, slimy and cold, with a sour rancid dishy-washy smell, and if teased out sometimes had bits of cold potato or cabbage stalk trapped in their stringy folds. Ours hung on a nail bashed into the kitchen window frame.

I wish someone would start a conversation about free-standing pressed-steel kitchen cabinets or meat-safes. They were companion pieces to string dishcloths, galvanised iron washtubs, corrugated washboards, blue-bags and wooden washing-dollies splish-splash… :hugs:

2 Likes

bit like my string vest and underpants then Peter :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

Please explain, I can infer what a bluebag is, I have seen a washboard I think, but what is this dolly?

1 Like

Like wot me old gran used to use,
and these things were lethal if you got yoour fingers in the wrong place…
Not to be confused with a darning dolly…

2 Likes

Wife makes her own scourers.

How please? I am on a bit of a zero waste trip…

I’m sure that if you put your mind to knitting dwiles you’d be more than competent. You might even take up dwile flonking.

1 Like

A ponch minus its dolly tub. A magnificent mangle (once trapped my fingers in Mum’s electric one) and what I take to be darning mushrooms and an etui of darning needles.

Do you ever get a bag of potatoes or fruit in that horrid plastic mesh that’s really hard to recycle because you have to cut the bit of clear plastic they stick to it? Well if you do, you can use it as a dish scrubber first. Fold the plastic mesh up into a scrubber sized rectangle, and sew round the edge. Voila! Pot scrubber. And once it looses its scrub it gets recycled.

(Nb, I try to avoid buying things in plastic net in the first place, but as a potato lover sometimes we have to if we want potatoes that aren’t wizened and green. So it salves my conscience to use bag for something)

3 Likes