Could another household be tapping into our electricity? High EDF bills for empty house!

We have 18kVa single phase. It was quite common to have that in big old houses. (Which of course means we can’t change suppliers or mess around with our abonnement as we’d never get that level again in monophase)

I had guests whom I told to turn everything off from the main switch before they left.

Instead they turned off everything they could think except the main switch and forget the hot water system.

I thought I had squatters because I could see via my Linky on line that something was drawing electricity at irregular times and amounts.

So check if the your electricity is indeed turned off at the main switch and have someone check for any suspicions connections outside your house where it comes down from the nearby overhead pole into your house through the outside wall via your house tableau, be it on the inside or the outside of your house.

Such a connection would not effect their consumption as it would be upstream of the meter.

Yes of course - it would have to be downstream of the meter box.
Can be done but would be visible suerly?

It’s hard to say without knowing exactly what is in place. Some situations lend themselves to leccy-snatching skullduggery, others less so. All in all I don’t think that the OP’s problem is due to theft.

Just log in to iCloud and change your address to your French address and you can download all the French apps. Once downloaded you can change the address to your normal domestic address. You’ll have to do this again for software updates.

1 Like

That was quite an interesting cautionary tale about neighboring homes being connected to your electricity Robert! Interesting about the well because our (former winemaker’s) home has a well too. But it’s got a wooden cover placed over it and hasn’t been used in ages. I’m curious if your neighbor’s well is still in use?

Hi Jane, I’m not clear on why you are saying we have an expensive abonnement? Is that based on the monthly amounts I reported? Or something else?

I got out a recent EDF statement and it was we have Tarif Bleu - 09 kVA - Option Heures Creuses.

So as you noted that 9kVA would be more practical, it turns out you are right and that’s what we have!

So do all you helpful respondents feel that we have a right-sized plan, considering we are usually not there and when we are there, it’s just the two of us? Pre-pandemic, we did summertime Airbnb’ing, but that’s not a key part of our situation since the house is paid off and we don’t need to rent it out to make ends meet.

I’ve appreciated all the kind and helpful comments and tips!

And as several of you said, the proof will be in the pudding now that the electricity has been shut off. I should only expect to be billed for the “pleasure” of having the service.

Thanks Alec, that is very sensible advice!

I need to spend some time on Linky figuring out how to see electricity usage in real time. Can you tell me which tab or whatever on that website (in my account) I need to navigate to? Thanks!

Oh, that’s interesting to know. I’m a little wary of changing anything related to my French utilities and such because even apprising those companies of address changes here in the States is not always easy.

But it sounds like you’re talking about doing it through iCloud? Do you mean within each utility’s account?

Sorry, I am not very tech-savvy!

The 2021 quoted price for this abonnement is 14.34€ a month tax included. You said yours for last September was over 23.19€ so if that was one month’ s bill then something is a bit odd.

https://particulier.edf.fr/content/dam/2-Actifs/Documents/Offres/Grille_prix_Tarif_Bleu.pdf

I use the utilities apps on my iPhone to monitor my electricity usage (enedis a mes cotes), pay my taxes (impots.gouv), pay my electricity bill (edf et moi), and manage my bank account using the credit Agricole app. Additionally I have philips hue bulbs and Motorola web cams. All this means I can keep an eye on the house which has been very useful as I only managed to get to France to tackle the weeds and the pool for 10 days in the whole of 2020. If I get a power cut I can tell pretty quickly and luckily have some good friends who pop in and reset the tripped fuse for us so that the dehumidifier can run overnight. The only thing I can’t monitor or pay via an app is the water bill, but we turn the water off when not at the house and pay the bill. by direct debit. If you need more info I can try and give you more detailed instructions.

Is that from UK? I still have Uk phone and all the french apps work fine on it. It might just be from the States that means OP has a problem?

It’s not where you got the iPhone from, but which App Store is associated with your iPhone.

EDF et Moi is only available on the French App Store.

If you log into your EDF Espace Client via any browser on any device and you have a Linky installed, you can view your daily power consumption.

Look for the “Comprendre ma consommation” tab.

@Whenners
That particular neighbour’s well has not been used for many years, although at one time it did supply water to our house. Other neighbours have wells which are in use and which come in handy for watering the garden or washing the car during the summer months when there are often mains water usage restrictions in place.
When mains water is conveniently available, then it’s not really viable to use well water for the house supply. While it might appear to be free at first sight there is the cost of the electricity to pump it, the cost of maintaining the pump and pressure vessel, the cost of the annual water quality analysis (required by law), and the fact that the pipework has to have isolation valves and one way flow control valves to prevent any possibility of the well water entering the mains system. Oh yes; and of course the well pump doesn’t work during an electrical power outage.

Hi Wendy
Login to Enedis and select 'Suivre mes mesures’ and there should be no blue bars shown if your electricity is turned off from the main switch.

In summer I average about 6kWh (with one person only at home) and less than 2kWh when away, with the mains left on but only my small HWS boiler keeping hot.

When away from the house for any lengthy period of time I turn the main switch off and the consumption is shown on the Linky chart as zero - no blue bars.at all

I’d be interested to hear your result…

Alec

When I said UK phone, I wasn’t referring to where I bought it! I have a UK phone with UK contract and UK number, which I still keep. And I put the EDF app on this phone without a problem. (Why I didn’t put it on my french phone is a mystery)

Hi Alec,

Over what period, please?
Brian

…per day - is that lot for one person? I use a lot of hand tools doing renovations - what’s yours?

That seems quite low to me.

I use about 15Kw/h per day over the summer. That includes using workshop power tools for 4-5 hours/day plus a pump for the pool running for 8 hours a day and a PC with an 800W power supply. Consumption drops to about 8Kw/h per day over the winter thanks to lack of workshop time and a hibernating pool…
Brian