Could another household be tapping into our electricity? High EDF bills for empty house!

Hi Alec:

I did access the current electricity usage stats and indeed, there has been zero usage. Success!

So that was a relief and I only wish I had shut off the electricity earlier. But then again, we had Airbnb renters periodically plus some workers doing things in the house from time to time. So it was easier to just leave it on. But for now, we don’t want any renters and all work is done, so it can safely remain switched off.

1 Like

After reading all the replies, I agree as well that it’s very unlikely. another household is using our electricity. I was just casting about for why the bills had gotten so high suddenly.

But those of you who shared such excellent information about the amount of electricity that a dehumidifier of the size we have would use made me realize that had to be what caused the bills to shoot up. I don’t regret running it and will do it again if damp reasserts itself. I’ll just know to expect high bills at that time.

1 Like

Yes, that’s my issue–my U.S. App Store does not offer the EDF app on U.S. phones. Trust me, I tried!

But I did sign up for a Linky account and figured out how to see the usage. So that’s fine, since I dislike using my iPhone for stuff I can handle on the computer (bigger screen, easier to click on stuff, etc).

Hi Wendy
I’m so pleased you solved your problem and I could be of help.

I have been very grateful to several Survive France members in the past who have meticulously and expertly helped me resolve several quirky household mysteries such as yours.

1 Like

Alec, here’s one more question for you: Can you confirm if the EDF bills are for 2 months of service? I think that’s right but I want to make sure I am understanding this correctly.

For example, my latest bill says that my abonnement costs 11,09 per month, and Montant comes to 22,18 on this bill. So that proves the bills come bi-monthly (or however you say every two months). Correct?

And is it the “Conso kWh” column that tells you how many kilowatts you used? And the next column over shows the price per kilowatt.

Thanks to everyone for causing me to take a very close look at the details of these bills for the first time. I haven’t paid too much attention but I obviously need to start doing so in order to make sure that going forward, the bills appear to be what they should be.

Hi Wendy
Like you for 11,09 per month when absent I don’t pay much attention to the bills. And my daily consumption when there is always consistent with the amount my electrical device chart tells me my devices consume in kW per hour.

When there I get charged the same rate shown on my Electricity Plan.