Courgette & Basil Terrine

It would be really mean of me not to share this fabulous
terrine with you, the last one I did if you saw my post a few weeks ago was
with tuna which was really quite unusual and very tasty, best of all quite simple to make. Well my DH was in the
Haute Savoie last week on business and he was having an appero (drinks and nibbles
before main meal) and was served small pieces of this Courgette and basil Terrine by
Fabienne, who was his host for the week, and he thought it was so delicious that he asked for the recipe.

This
time of the year we have courgettes coming out of our ears, to coin a phrase, and the challenge is always to find something else other than soup or stuffed courgettes. Well this is it, I made this today and I did
taste a little bit while it was still warm and I think it is going to be very
tasty indeed when properly chilled and, as I sit here, it is doing that right now.

I would say this would feed a good 12 for starters so I guess some of it will go in the freezer to keep the other half of the tuna terrine company for awhile. You could also halve the ingredients to make a smaller portion.

Turn your oven to 180deg (Moderate)

Ingredients

1,2kg Courgettes (2lb 10oz)

5 cloves of garlic

4 tablespoons of olive oil

3 tablespoons of chopped basil

30g parmesan cheese (1oz)

100g of Swiss cheese (3.5ozs)

6 eggs

3 tablespoons of white breadcrumbs

Salt & pepper

Trim ends of courgettes and cut into very small pieces, take
a large pan and add and heat the 4 tbls of olive oil and then add the courgettes,a
little salt & pepper and stir fry for a few minutes.

Finely chop the garlic and basil.

Break 6 eggs into a large bowl and add the chopped garlic, basil, the parmesan and the breadcrumbs and give it a good stir round.

Add the Swiss cheese into the courgettes mix and switch the
heat off.

Now pour the courgette mix into the large bowl with the
other ingredients.

Lightly butter a loaf tin and pour the mixture in

Cook in a bain –marie (I just used a deep dish and poured a
little water in the base) cook for 45 minutes, switch the oven off and leave
for 10 minutes with the door half opened for about 10 minutes.

Remove from the oven and when cooled place in the fridge to
chill.

Serve in slices or dice

One point my DH mentioned was that Fabienne cut her courgettes much smaller than mine so next time I will do just that. Pause for appero!!!

We have now tasted it and it is light and totally delicious so thanks to Fabienne I have yet another great recipe to pass on. Hope that if you try it you will come back and let me know what you thought. Bon Appetit.

let it cool - crumbles a bit if too warm. OH had a shudder at the thought of it when I first made but loves the texture. His favourite is chocolate, cherry and chilli brownies (which also make a very good pud for dinner parties

Thanks for that Bernadette sounds interesting, sliced with butter (when it's hot?) will give it a go I am sure the courgettes are almost ready again!

Courgette Cake

Preheat oven to 170

Grease 2 1lb loaf tins

3 eggs beaten until fluffy

400gm Caster Sugar

250ml Veg Oil

2tsp Vanilla Extract (I sometimes use zest of 1 lemon instead)

375gm plain flour

3 tsp baking powder

2tsp cinnamon

2tsp nutmed

225gm grated courgette

Beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla together. Gradually mix in the flour, baking powder and spices. Fold in the courgette. Transfer to loaf tins.

Bake for 45mins or until knife inserted into centre comes out clean.

OH likes his sliced with butter. Freezes well. I also freeze grated courgette and marrow for baking and quiches.

please do hate to see them go to waste

If stuck for something to do with the courgette I have a good recipe for a cake. Will happily post if you are interested :)

I have never tried growing cornichons Neil and probably won't now after reading that:) hope you do try this dish and would love to hear what you thought of it.

The ge

reat courgette overload has started so this is very welcome. Growing cornichons for the first time but they are going from tiny to very big overnight!

The beauty of this Terrine had I cut the courgettes really small ( I only followed the recipe I was given and they forgot to mention just how small), the courgettes should have become almost a pulp, so the kids wont even know that you used up the courgettes. It really is a tasty dish and please let me know if you tried it.:)

Just like Tracy, courgetted out and my children... I go into the vegetable garden and so "No thank you, no more" to myself. We also have loads of basil and much of it is about to flower, at which stage the leaves get tough and it will be wasted. So this might be a way of getting rid of a few courgettes and having the benefit of the basil before it changes into pesto.

Great idea, I'm already courgetted out and the kids will not even look at them in the garden!