Court rules Trump ineligible for the US presidency

5 Likes

People need to read the small print, this is just a first step and will be appealed so whilst itā€™s unprecedented weā€™re still a long way from seeing Trump stopped from standing.

I heard it this morning on the Today programme and a US commentator with a glum voice said it was the worst thing that could happen because it strengthens Trumpā€™s victimisation claims and if an election was held today he would be the new President, replacing Biden.

A brief silence and then the solemn voice of Nick Robinson intoning ā€˜Well, thatā€™s cheered up an entire nation thenā€™. :rofl:

Priceless.

6 Likes

It is totally shocking that Trumpā€™s supporters cannot see through his lies, deceit and self serving.

Have you ever considered that they have and that they donā€™t care?

I recall conversations with Americans at the time Trump was voted in as POTUS last that they wanted him to completely break the system so badly that it had to be re-made. The ā€˜littleā€™ people felt betrayed by the Hillarys and others with ā€˜eliteā€™ backgrounds and they wanted a system that represented ordinary working class Americans.

Sadly I think theyā€™re far more likely to get ripped off even worse, and far from being renewed the system will be broken against them, but when you only see things as simple black & white, that is often hidden.

2 Likes

And how does Trump represent that angle, privileged entitled son of a billionaire who went to elite bought for schools and university, all the things they are meant to despise.

1 Like

At least Hilary was competent, and had been in the White House before so knew a lot of hidden stuff

The US Supreme Court, which is not looked upon very favourably at the moment in the polls, will have a difficult decision to make following on from Roe and Wade. Being asked to decide on the Colorado Supreme Courtā€™s decision not to allow Trumpā€™s candidacy may make them even more unpopular, which might tempt it to ignore Trumpā€™s appeal, hopefully, and throw it back to Colorado.

Iā€™ve read somewhere that Chief Justice John Roberts is getting worried about his courtā€™s popularity.

They were relying on him to basically break the united states political system - arguably he has tried, but couldnā€™t do that effectively either. I didnā€™t say the position taken was logical, but the question was asked about why people would overlook his character and behaviour.

Thereā€™s a mentality, recognisable also in Leave voters that runs ā€œmy life is shit, if I can make yours shit as well, Iā€™ve wonā€.

I suspect Trump supporters have it in spades.

1 Like

Itā€™s about the 4th step

The 14th amendment claims have been thrown out by lower courts in Minnesota and Michigan as well as previously in Colorado.

Minnesota and Michigan I believe are being appealed in their stateā€™s respective supreme courts.

Ultimately it will need to go to SCOTUS - whether they will prevail there is difficult to guess but it is worth noting that the Republican/Democrat split in SCOTUS is 3-6 in favour of Republicans.

Agree.

She was very good at making sexual assault charges against Bill go away.

ā€œWeā€™ve got matches, gasoline and just want to watch the whole corrupt mess burn down at this point.ā€

1 Like

Which is understandable.

Except the corruption of, say, the Obama presidency was more in the GoP/Trumpā€™s head than in reality and the fiscal irresponsibility of the Labour party claimed in 2010 was similarly more fabricated than real.

However in Trump we got a corrupt (and corrupting) POTUS and in the Tories we got an irresponsible, incompetant and also manifestly corrupt government.

Turkerys and Christmas come to mind in both cases.

2 Likes

As I understand it, the Colorado judgement is notable mainly as setting a precedent which other jurisdictions might follow - even if this judgement stands and Trump is actually barred from being a candidate it only applies in Colorado, not the rest of the USA.

And Colorado votes Democrat by quite a margin anyway, so it wouldnā€™t make a direct difference to the Presidential election result.

2 Likes

The Republicans are hoping that it will be sent to the Supreme Court where Trumpā€™ nominees make up the majority

To be fair itā€™s the sort of thing youā€™d want debated in the highest court in the land - though I agree youā€™d probably want a more balanced panel.

There is some necessary faffing around in the lower courts, nothing is decided yet as @tim17 says.

The Republicans have been desperately trying to get rid of Trump since he won the nomination last time. The issue they have desperately struggled with ever since is the strength of his support and base, and being self serving scumbags theyā€™d rather ride his coattails. Plus of course thereā€™s the ā€˜useful idiotā€™ aspect of him which they can, and did, use, but frankly I suspect thereā€™s nothing more the party would like than to have him ruled ineligible because it becomes the Supreme Courtā€™s fault, but then allows them to say ā€˜Hereā€™s our candidate, theyā€™re not Trump but if you want to get rid of Biden we have to unite behind themā€™ which will hopefully bring the ā€˜never trumpā€™ section back on board, and will get enough of the MAGA crowd on board to deliver victory.

What a pathetic choice America is likely to have.
Two geriatrics: delusional dictator Donald and genocide Joe.

Still, the UK isnā€™t much better: smarmy snake Sunak or sit on the fence grey man Starmer.

1 Like