Covid-19 New Restrictions Probable

Whilst it’s important to get the public to respect the restrictions for their own good I’d like to think that some common sense would also prevail but it seems likely that’s not going to happen. I also think that there are mixed messages coming from the government and this is not to help the situation.

https://www.sudouest.fr/2020/03/20/coronavirus-le-dilemme-des-salaries-entre-aller-travailler-ou-rester-chez-soi-7348020-705.php

The immune system produces antibodies to destroy any new virus that it encounters, so we would expect anyone who has survived the infection to have immunity and not to pass on the virus.
But every virus is different and we don’t know exactly how this one works yet.
You will recall that AIDS had “learned” the trick of hiding from the immune system. So we must hope that this one doesn’t have any nasty surprises.

3 Likes

The good news is that you are won’t get flu if you don’t come into contact with someone who already has it and that is unlikely under the present restrictions.
Thoreau said “Wood warms you twice, once when you cut it and again when you burn it.” But Thoreau was an idiot IMHO! :laughing:

1 Like

Oh my goodness me… I don’t cut it… but I do like to burn it… I need to get it in from a 100 yds up the road… and before all “outings” are banned…

Are you going to meet anyone on your journey Stella?

As already posted under a different heading, the Gendarmerie are to be seen huddling together at the side of the road and totally ignoring all restrictions.

Hopefully not… but as it is a main (but not huge) road with houses along the way… there is always a possibility of folk being out for a walk… with or without their dogs… whether they need to or not…

One of our neighbours is a boulanger and drives himself to work in a town over 20k from here.
Should he not go so that the people there have no bread?
Our baker is called Panasonic.

In England you might get away with “I thought they said I was allowed to walk my logs.” But unfortunately it doesn’t work with chiens and bûches. . . .

1 Like

Let them eat cake!

Or brioche!

1 Like

@Mike_Kearney knows viruses are constantly evolving, but doesn’t believe they have got around to thinking yet. When that happens we will really be in trouble! :laughing:

I hope he may be right, but it would take a lot of Washington smart-arse strategists to think of a way of bringing half the “free world” to a dead stop in 6 weeks. Like our pretty viral friend did us. Look how useful our well-thought-about nuclear deterrents were in out-thinking it.

So whatever the virus does that doesn’t involve thinking should give us thought for something better than thinking, or we’re up shit creek without a paddle.

1 Like

Ha ha… no, this does fall under essential stuff. we have enough food/medics but not logs… should have done it sooner, but , oh well…

That makes a difference.

The messages are all for people living in large towns and cities.
There seems to be no understanding of the situation here where our nearest shop is fifteen minutes drive away and our whole Commune has only 270 people and we are 7k from the centre of the village.

the messages are for all… if there is a regional variation, the Prefet can issue them… and it might be even more draconian measures… or not…

Essential shopping is ok… and common sense should prevail… ie shopping at the nearest, not going an extra 50km just to visit a favourite shop… :wink: :upside_down_face:

So why are the gendarmes not social distancing?
How long will it take to find out that they are probably one of the main ways that infection is spreading.
They are relying on masks which they do not change and which are useless.
There needs to be sensible thinking here, otherwise people will rebel.
Our nearest supermarket and pharmacy is 15 minutes drive away. It is not a case of choosing our favourite.
We need to take our household waste by car to the nearest roadside bin and what is going to happen to waste collections?

I read on Franc3 this morning that 5 gendarmes have tested positive for Covid…

Is it really surprising.

Surely you just put it up against the inside of the window, if you are driving.

3 Likes