Covid-19 pandemic: France eases travel for UK and six other countries

I had a feeling you might respond like that (getting stuck in France) :slightly_smiling_face:. My thoughts were that the Covid situation still changes daily - and France in particular is still facing great difficulties with deaths, number of new cases, vaccine rollout etc… Should the UK see another surge in cases like Italy, one wonders if borders would be shut. Hope it works out alright for you…

Well, let’s hope that the rising numbers of cases do not cause either France or the UK to change that.

Of course, UK says you cannot leave without exceptional reasons and that is up to the 18th May.

1 Like

Currently the earliest day that travel might be allowed is Monday May 17th, as I previously mentioned. There’s supposed to be a review on April 12th.

Yes, I’m acutely aware that the French numbers are not heading the right way at the moment and that further lockdown is at least possible.

In truth (sensible mode still on) it wouldn’t be straightforward - while my wife & I could work remotely in France neither of us could do so as effectively as at home. It would also be difficult for my son to follow his schoolwork - the school has switched pretty seamlessly from class to remote learning and back again but that was for the whole class, not just one student.

I’m more worried about the French numbers than the UK - we’re sitting at just over 23 million vaccinated, 1.4 million of whom have had both doses. Plus another 4 million cases so it’s probably reasonable to assume that we have 25 million people with some immunity - that’s something like half the over 18 population which enough to significantly slow the virus (and the evidence is there that it is having an effect).

France is at 4.5 million having had 1st dose and 2.15 million having had both but the rate of vaccination is finally getting there with nearly 300k doses on Thursday 11th (222087 1st doses and 57513 2nd doses).

UK 1st are slowing a bit - 220-240k per day with 2nd doses just coming up to 100k/day. Going forward I think both nations will be doing about the same rate of 1 million (or a little more) a week so in 11 weeks hopefully closer to 35million Brits and 15million French will have been vaccinated. That is enough to seriously change the landscape as far as travel goes.

So, while I am fully aware 11 weeks is a long time ahead to be making predictions learning that the French restrictions have been relaxed means that I am, for the first time since December, optimistic that a planned visit will actually go ahead and not have to be moved again.

4 Likes

Yet again Paul, thanks so much for your interpretation of the numbers in such a clear way.

1 Like

The UK cannot refuse it’s own citizens surely? Or are you thinking they would have to go to a hotel?
What if you are vaccinated though ?
We have a booking for end May and will have had both our vaccines by then! Would love to come but not sure about numerous Covid tests on departure, arrival and return. Am really hoping that having had the vaccine will be acceptable by that stage.

Having had the vaccine is not a 100% guarantee you don’t have Covid so I think you’ll still need tests

If it is one 72 hours before travel each way it shouldn’t be too much hassle to organise (assuming stay in France more than 4 days or so) so it just becomes a question of cost (~£120-150 per test in UK, unclear for France whether it can be done free or will have to be paid for).

Hope that is the case for you Anne. My question was a “what if”. I would guess testing (both to and from France) prior to departure would still be obligatory at the end of May. I was thinking of places like Italy, who thought covid was on the downturn but suddenly it takes off again. Seems impossible to predict as each week/month passes.

Sounds like it’s going to be really expensive to travel because as things stand currently you need a test on departure from UK; 5 or 7 days quarantine in France; test to come out of quarantine; test on departure from France, quarantine in UK and then 2 more tests !! 5 tests x 2 people at a cost of ca £120 a time is equal to £1200 !!! (and then the dog is £125 for his Health Certificate!).

Sure does. I suppose it depends on how long you plan to stay.

I read a post somewhere which of course now appears to be lost for all time…to me anyway, saying, I thinkbthat a test before leaving the UK wasn’t necessary, if returning to France within a certain period of time.
I’m wondering if I had the pcr (?) test 72 hours before travelling to UK; travelling Thursday returning Sunday, would that fall within limits not requiring a test before returning?

If that makes sense…

I think things will have changed by the end of May (which way is more open to debate :slight_smile: ).

One problem at the moment is that I don’t think all the websites giving information (even official government ones) have been updated following the relaxation on the 12th of March.

Better hope it’s not the currently PCR-undetectable Breton variant that people from the Lannion area might be carrying.