Cracks in wall - Subsidence

Morning a
We have large cracks in an extension wall, almost certainly subsidence due to the canicule.
We visited the Mairie who said to send a letter.
Can anyone please advise on the form the letter should take and should we enclose photographs?
Also can we deliver the letter by hand?
Many thanks

Ps. Our neighbours said we should act rapidement.

shouldn’t that be through your insurance company in the first instance?

Any important/official letters in France MUST be sent by LRAR as they are not valid in a tribunal/litigation case otherwise. This is from personal experience whereby the other party lost the case because they just wrote and sent a letter by ordinary post.

2 Likes

I dont know.
We were told that the Mairie has to ask Paris to declare a catastrophe naturelle before insurance will help.

Thank you.
Do I ask la poste for lettre recommandé?

you want the one which gives you proof of reception…
“Lettre recommande avec Avis de Reception”

1 Like

Have they done that?

Thank you.

I dont think so.
We keep checking the commune information as we only have 10 days to act after the decision.
A neighbour says it will be December.
Not sure how he knows.

probably asked at the Mairie… why don’t you do similar?

1 Like

Also who do we address the letter to exactly?

1 Like

@fabien may have a view from the insurance perspective

Hello to all, @graham is correct in thinking this should be declared to your insurance company asap. Considering the situation you should declare what you think is the context (crack that happened due to landslips or something like that linked with the canicule) and tell that you’re in touch with the Mairie that may declare a state of “catastrophe naturelle”. In the meantime you should contact the Mairie as advised to explain the situation (over official mail) and tell them that you are inquiring as to whatever the town is/was under a state of “catastrophe naturelle” due to the extreme heat (ideally pin pointing a couple dates to be specific - when it was particularly hot and around the time you think the crack(s) happened).

4 Likes

To be noted that if the the insurance company reject the claim then you’re on your own unfortunately so you should make sure it’s done “by the books” to maximise your odds.

4 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Do I need an LRAR for the insurance company?

As @Shiba alluded to - imo as well - yes for your own protection.

I cant find our area on the published list (24310) but I’ll inform the Mairie and insurance company anyway.
Thank you.

1 Like

no need for this at that stage but you should contact the insurance company indeed (mostly their claims service if this is separate).

1 Like