Cracks in wall - Subsidence

Your post actually gives me hope as we still haven’t heard about last years subsidence for which the Maire assured us we would be told if a catastrophe naturelle was declared.

Yes, I cannot believe that it took so long, so don’t give up hope…

1 Like

Just another frustrating update for those endlessly waiting for some compensation / support / communication. Despite having notified our insurance company and one acknowledgement of receipt, nothing else! All quiet on the south-western front! Obviously, designed to wear you down.

Do they have a local office… where you can visit and talk face to face with someone… ??

Hi. I am new to this forum, but I am happy to offer my help to people with cracking to their buildings. I am a subsidence consultant (structural engineer and building surveyor). I undertake remote video surveys of properties anywhere and offer advice. I used to be a loss adjuster myself so I know the UK insurance market very well, and I am getting up to speed on the French system now - completely different from UK.

Perhaps I can be of assistance to you?

1 Like

Thank you for your replies. In answer, our ‘claim’ has now been transferred to another office and person. A ‘face to face’ will be the next step, although that hasn’t worked for us in the past. I am constantly amazed at the apparent lack of urgency in such situations.

Hi Bob - And welcome!

And to the others who are following this thread…

Our insurers have now come back to us asking for just about ‘everything’ we have about the house : deeds, ownership, drawings (which I do have!), method of construction etc. etc.

Just gathering the dossier now and will revert when I know more.

1 Like

We’ve just received a letter from the Mairie telling us we have 30 days to inform our insurance company that a catastrophe naturelle has been declared.
We normally just walk into the local office.
Do we need to send an LRAR or should we just take our letter into the office and assume they will write down the date we submitted them?

Just to say we’ve been away and outer letter from the Mairie is dated 26th September so if the 10 days applies we won’t have time for LRAR.

go straight to your Insurance agent, with the letter from your Mairie…

Talk things through, explain what damage you have suffered… and wish to make a claim as per Catastrophe Naturelle…

In different yet similar circumstances, after much discussion back and forth, and forms being printed out while we sat there, our Insurange Agent provided us with a letter/document there and then, which confirmed the date and details of our claim.

Thanks. Will do.

Still waiting … for a response from the insurance company. Having contacted them again, they have told me they will respond by the end of September!!!

Which year? :joy:

1 Like

Well Allianz has un fermé exceptionnel today so I’ve sent an email saying we visited, outlined the reason and said we’ll return tomorrow.

1 Like

Allianz have given us a numero sinistre and we pave filled an online form in for the expert.
Not sure how long until a rdv but impressed so far.

1 Like

FINALLY received a response via the insurance company. In fact, from the very same ‘expert’ who came to the house, witnessed the damage and filed a report. They have requested invoices for the work required on the swimming pool. At the time, we had the pump replaced professionally, but at we could not get a company to agree to clean the debris from the pool (until confirmation of insurance cover???). So, in view of apparent lack of compensation and the cost of replacing numerous other items, my husband did all the work on the pool himself which took blood, sweat and tears and a great deal of ingenuity! Although still not entirely optimistic about a financial resolution, it seems entirely typical that an insurance company should benefit from his hard work … any advice/words of comfort greatly received.

How is this part going Mariateresa?

Bonjour, you would think so! As a reminder, the flooding took place during the period of lockdown. We were locked down in London so were unable to address (or even see) the extent of the damage and had to leave it untouched (instruction from the insurance company) until we were allowed to travel back to France many months later. Refusing us any compensation for our loss just added insult to injury. Ever since, despite trying to challenge the decision face to face (as someone suggested), no success. We are hoping that the designation of a ‘catastrophe naturelle’ will help. It has become a matter of principle now for me, but I question the point of even having insurance as it seems they wriggle out of their commitment at every opportunity. Rant over!!

We await an outcome.