Credit Agricole charging for tranfers from UK accounts

Quite agree. I did a transfer one evening last week and the acknowledgement of the transfer came through almost immediately and the following morning, the money was in my French account. It may even have been there that evening, I did not check. It has quickened up no end in the last few months.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been with them for 10 years and Iā€™ve always been happy; I did a transfer last week and the money was here the next morning. I see no reason to change.
Happy weekend

I have written and asked for a detailed breakdown of what they need 18euros for - wont hold my breath for a reply. Maybe its just the Tarn CA that has bad customer service. Had an email on Thursday 20th Jan in reply to my email of 29th December. So customer service obviously isnt a priority with them. This is the English speaking service in Rodez. Phoned twice on 29th Dec said it was urgent - they have a call back service - but nobody called - well they did on Jan 3rd. Have been with them for 20years - doubt any other bank is any better so will have to stay with them - better the devil etc etc.

Are you able to get to your local branch??? It would surely be better to discuss with someone face to face (even wearing masks).

Tried that - useless - as they still send me cheque books and emails addressed to my husband and myself. He has been dead for over 3 years and inspite of going in there with death certificate etc they still address everything to him as well. Given up now.

Sounds absolutely bizarre. Obviously ā€œcustomer serviceā€ varies considerably from Branch to Branch.

haha don`t think they can even spell it in mine!!

OH went onto her online account to order a new cheque book and received a email asking for three reasons why she wanted one, then went to add another account number so she could transfer money between them, you have to make a appointment at the bank to do that, really :flushed:

Yet another thing which seems to vary depending on Branch/Area perhaps.

I get an email from CA saying that Iā€™ll be getting a new cheque book in 2 weeksā€¦ so I go and take a look and, fair enough, Iā€™m about 2/3s through it.

I have been about 2/3 through my cheque book for the last 4 years. :grin: Canā€™t remember when I last wrote a cheque. Used to pay our vet that way (single practice from home). These days they have this fancy little card reader from Zettle. So no more cheques needed.

Yep, I can well believe it. Itā€™s been a topic of discussion already on the forum.

Since covid struck and our Mairie asked local traders to come to the village, we place our orders and, come the day, queue up masked/spaced, grab our stuff and pay by cheque.

When visiting a supermarket and such, of course the card is useful but I still see many folk with their cheque books.
I zap my card for small amounts, which is excellent, but can struggle to remember the pin for larger amounts. Deep breath, concentrateā€¦ ah yes, thatā€™s itā€¦ phew. always a sigh of relief when the machine says ā€œCode Bonā€ :rofl:

The way I remember my two codes, one for the C/A a/c the other for my HSBC is to visualise the pattern on the keyboard. One forms an on-its-side triangle. The other is a more abstract shape but still works for me.

2 Likes

Honestly, it does my head in, needing passwords/codes for virtually everything we doā€¦ and then with some of them, I get asked to ā€œupdate/changeā€ā€¦ aaargh.

So far the Bank Pin remains unchanged - thank heavens.

1 Like

@Stella - you can take your bank card to an ATM operated by your bank and change the look to something you can easily remember. @suepj 's suggestion of a PIN based on a pattern is an excellent one - itā€™s what Iā€™ve done with my most-used cards and never experienced the checkout panic!

Ahā€¦ youā€™ve misunderstoodā€¦ Iā€™m so glad that the Bank is the one place where I have not been asked to change, except from their rather awful "%x3*&^ one when we first opened the account. At that point (donkeys years ago) I changed to a number from my childhood, heard so often that it is burned into my brainā€¦ :hugs: :rofl: but even soā€¦
If they ask me to change thatā€¦ Iā€™ve no idea what Iā€™d doā€¦ :roll_eyes:

EDIT: I have memory problems, since childhood - perhaps dropped on my head - something I know very well will simply vanish from my mindā€¦ aaargh. I have to relax and think of something elseā€¦ thenā€¦ wham !

1 Like

It does seem that sometimes banks are damned if they do and damned if they dont. If you open a new account there will be a new set of charges for that account. When you open a new account with CA your conseiller will normally ask you some questions to help you decide what kind of account you want/need, what that account will let you do and not let you do and what the account charges will be. Then you sign a form to apply for that account and sign to confirm that you accept the terms and conditions.
If you can simply open an additional account online without reading the small print I am sure you will be the first to complain if you think the charges for that account are too high or the account does not do what you want it to do and why did nobody explain it to you.

She was wanting to add another account she already has so she can transfer money between them as needed, she was told she could do this online, turns out she has to go into the bank to do this now.
I think we get used to online banking in the UK and it just comes as a shock how far behind and antiquated the French banking system is.

1 Like

Ah apologies I had completely misunderstood.
Yes that is strange. I have 2 ā€œcurrentā€ accounts with CA and also some savings, and when I log on I can see all my accounts and easily move money between them. I do not remember having to ask for them to be linked.
I cannot actually imagine what UK online banking might offer that French online banking does not, the only thing that irritates me slightly is the time lag between setting up a new payee and being able to make a payment to them but I accept that this is for security reasons. Maybe it is the usual thing where you do not realise that you need something until somebody puts it in front of you and explains to you why you need it.

Iā€™m with @Sandcastle there - I have a current acount and a couple of savings accounts with CA and when I log on I can see all of them, so not being able to is distinctly odd. Iā€™ve found their on-line facilities give me everything I need at the moment but then I am a bit simple :smiley:

2 Likes

Not for the first timeā€¦

1 Like