'Cricket Lovely Cricket'

Was saddened to read this evening of the death of Sonny Ramadhin, the WIndies slow left arm bowler who helped win their first Test series in England and commemorated in this calypso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFl9x3XzKSw

After retiring from international cricket he became the landlord of the Bluebell Inn in the Saddleworth villlage of Delph (where I had my first underage pint) and continued to play for the local side, Friarmere. I remember his benefit match in 1976 when one Sunday that summer, Friarmere played the West Indies on a Pennine moorside pitch. Vivian Richards opened for the Tourists, but possibly for the only time in cricketing history the opener was run out when the ball was returned at lightning speed by the square leg umpire, Clive Richards, apparently unhindered by being dressed in a powder blue suit with flares, wide lapels and cream platform soled shoes. A scene so memorable it’s unfortunately overwritten all my other memories of the match!

3 Likes

I was a clogs man myself in ‘76. Very comfy.

Crikey. So many memories of Lancashire league cricket in the 70’s. I lived 50 yards from Westhoughton cricket ground, where I was privileged to see so many great West Indian, Indian and Pakistani cricketers play. Marvelous.

I remember visiting cricketers always used to stay at the Black Boy Hotel on Long Row in Nottingham in the 50s and 60s. It was built on the site of a 17th-century inn in the late 1880s by local architect Watson Fothergill and survived until 1970 when it was demolished amidst great public outcry to make way for a new, vast and horribly ugly modern building occupied by Littlewoods, and now Primark.

[quote="Fleur, post:4, topic:38539
… visiting cricketers always used to stay at the Black Boy Hotel
[/quote]
Hope they made the Springboks stay there!

1 Like

I was just thinking, after Richard Osman chose the theme tune to Pot Black as one of his Desert Island Disks, that I might have the theme to T.M.S., up there with ‘Green Onions’ as one of Booker T’s best.

Apart from being very appropriate for a desert island [the assumption always seems to be it is a tropical desert island not some gale-lashed Atlantic rock], it encapsulated decades of great cricket memories, of which these are just three.

Freddie Truman’s 300th Test wicket - The Oval. Neil Hawke [Aus] - c Cowdray b Truman. I drew the field placings on the back of my ticket.

Geoff Boycott’s 100th 100. Headingly 1977. Headingly, where they say the people in the cheapest seats are as knowledgeable about the game as anyone in the Y.C.C. pavilion seats.

The ‘Bomb Scare’ Test - Lord’s 1973. - W.Indies v Eng. In those days a ground ticket allowed sitting on the grass between the boundary rope and the stands. I used to sit just finer than fine fine leg [Nursery End] Obviously - the pavilion was at the other end.

Michael Holdings’s run-up was so long that brief flirtations between W.Indies ladies spectators and Holdings used to take place before he set off on his next delivery. “Ooooh! Holdins’ ! Holdins’ !”

When the scare was announced, everyone in seats left the ground. All those of us on the grass, several hundred plus Dickie Bird, went into the centre of the field. The groundsmen rushed on to get covers on the square. This prompted a lot of wit from W.Indies, who pointed at the sunny skies. A massive jump-up then ensued for almost two hours.

The carnival atmosphere was somewhat spoiled by ‘Sir’ Geoffrey being hit on the head by an empty can of Red Stripe as he and his partner walked out to resume the innings. Not in the Cricinfo report [Rewind to ... 1973: Bomb threat stops play | Cricket | ESPNcricinfo.com] I saw this myself - we were collected en masses at the pavilion gate. He was also jostled on the way back having got out to the last ball of the day.

It was incidents such as this last that did for sitting on the grass - a great shame.

On T.M.S. itself there is, of course, the 'Leg Over ’ commentary - Johnners and Aggers. This clip was actually chosen as a Desert Island choice by someone. I was driving on the M4 as this came on and, as always when I hear it, I crack up, helplessly and had to stop on the hard shoulder because I was no longer in complete control of my car!

John_Scully
Patron

‘I was a clogs man myself in ‘76.’

Were those Lancashire or Yorkshire clogs (1970s Leeds Utd wore the latter)?

1 Like

Have you seen this? :

1 Like

I was a very lucky boy as my father was on the committee of Gloucestershire CCC, and along with my brother we had access to the great names of cricket. I had an autograph book full of the signatures of great players including Sir Garfield Sobers and Sir Learie Constantine. I got signed cricket bats. All, of course, far more civilised than up north!

‘Shane Warne dies aged 52’

This is very sad - he was an extraordinary spin bowler - just ask Mike Gatting.

1 Like

That’s a real shock :slightly_frowning_face:

Suspected heart attack in Koh Samui…

Rod Marsh, Sonny Ramadhin and Shane Warne all gone in a few days.
Two of the greatest spin bowlers in the game.

Gatts is still having nightmares about Warney…

Isn’t it just, now you know what I could say…but its not appropriate at this time. A huge loss for cricket.

?? Don’t know and don’t really care :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

52 is no age nowadays, he will be much missed, he was one of the first to turn himself into a global brand, really astute and a towering personality :sunglasses:.

1 Like

So he had seen a doctor prior about his chest pain but was sent home.
Some doctor!
Take control of your own health, get a coronary calcium scan and actuslly see your chances via narrowing of your arteries.
A simple high speed CT scan takes around 20 minutes and the only non invasive way to see your real risk of a blockage.

The high speed CT is fast enough to get a stationary picture of the heart and its arteries where a normal CT would be blurred due to the heart pumping.

Good advice, he had heart issues, asthma, smoked and had just finished a 14 day fad diet of fluids only but the inquest and autopsy will find out what really happened to him so no point on pointing fingers before anyone knows the facts.
He really was gifted, larger than life, an astute businessman who created a world brand, sometimes troubled and total sportsman, the cricket world has lost one of its true greats far to young.

1 Like

I see he is to get a State Funeral so people can honour his memory.

Australian MP Daniel Andrews, the Premier of Victoria, said on social media that the occasion would be an opportunity for the country to honour the sporting superstar.

“I’ve spoken with the Warne family again today and they have accepted my offer of a State Funeral to remember Shane,”

Juice diets spike insulin, dangerous to do if you already have issues. Just dont do it!