Crit'Air Sticker needed ? - Update 2019

Actually - cars on the “collection” registration have been reprieved from CRIT’Air. How long this dispensation will last - is in the lap of the Gods… :thinking:

The “thinking” is that Collection Cars are driven infrequently and (importantly) are part of the Heritage - yippee

I have just ordered one for my car, I believe that more and more cities will be using these. The small cost is for the paper, printing and sending…Less than 4 euros will not break the bank and I would rather order now than have a mad scramble later on when it may be obligatory !

2 Likes

Hi Stella. OK this is good news, as years ago it almost put my Bikes off the road.

When i read this, it seems the powers that be have already started to strike.

Thomas - the Mayor of Paris granted a reprieve to Vehicules de Collection - in Paris, for a while. I am not sure if this is still in place.

Where are you based (roughly) ?

Quite so, Ann. We bought ours way back when - it sticks on the inside of the screen and appears to last indefinitely.

I have noted that the website now states that if you wreck/ruin your sticker you have to pay for a new one, but that seems reasonable enough.

Stella, I am based in Department 16

I don’t think there is a problem there… ?

I havent heard of any so far, thanks for the info.

Well - you’d be surprised @anon88169868 ! They’ve been around for 2 years and 8.2 million were issued during year 1. Best you keep your eyes peeled :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses:

What I’m slightly ‘surprised’ about is the lack of awareness of this anti-pollution initiative introduced 2 years ago. Now then, I live in the foothills of the Pyrenees and it was very well covered on TV, radio, the papers and internet / facebook feeds. Where have you been? :wink: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

Possibly less Daily Mail and more médias français… :grin:

Yes, I am slightly surprised.

Presumably most will have been issued to people who live in a large city - Malansac is about an hour’s drive from both Rennes and Nantes, I guess the Malansacais don’t go to either very much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Stickers are issued to anyone who asks for one and only those who feel the need/possible need will ask … :wink:

Through the forum, I know that folk wishing to visit and drive across France in previous years, DID purchase the stickers - rather than possibly be stymied/inconvenienced.

I live in a tiny, farming village - yet have my sticker - 'cos we have loads of friends and “happenings” in Paris and various suppliers in Lyon.

As (if) more places bring-in restrictions (quite possible) the existing stickers will become more and more useful …:wink:

I got mine “just in case”, but it’s a 4 so unlikely to be much good if there are restrictions. Looking for a new(er) car, might see if I can get a 5 :smiling_imp:

No critter stickers for our wagons…I prefer to take the train if travelling into cities.

An hour by train to Toulouse is far more pleasant than an hour on the Autoroute. And as for driving in Paris, you have to want to be a masochist to do that!!!

When touring with the motorhome, if we want to visit a city we find the nearest campsite possible with public transport nearby.

Same here in the UK - never drive if I have to go into Birmingham or London.

1 Like

It’s slightly different with a camper, certainly. When we visit Paris we go all over, visiting friends in various areas/districts. Public transport is not best for what we get up to… but I agree that a certain madness is necessary to actually enjoy driving through/around Paris.

The worst time is if we have to follow a friend’s car - the Parisians we know, all seem to drive like madmen, dodging in and out of traffic… not the easiest to keep tabs on. :wink::crazy_face:

1 Like

So I found this on TripAdvisor and thought that those who live around the Bouches du Rhone would find it useful.
Having come to France from the polluted sinkhole that is Philadelphia, I rather wish that this initiative was being applied to American cities.
And those who are saying that this is a way to scam money… Well. no.

Marseille has joined Paris, Lyon, Annecy, and Strasbourg in a ban on vehicles that don’t have Crit’Air stickers, with 25+ cities part of the scheme, to be brought in when pollution reaches high levels.

Marseille stopped vehicles with Crit’Air 4 or 5 stickers from entering the main areas of the city on Thursday in a bid to reduce levels of fine particulates in the atmosphere.

Vehicles - even those from other countries - must display Crit’Air stickers (or proof of purchase email for a sticker that has not yet arrived) clearly behind their windscreen to drive in the French cities that have taken up the system of traffic control.

Anyone found breaking the rules can be fined €45-90 per vehicle, and risks having their vehicle taken away. During periods of high pollution, city authorities can ban vehicles based on the number of the sticker on the windscreen.

The stickers can be ordered online at the Crit’Air website - www.certificat-air.gouv.fr - which is available in English, German, Spanish and Italian as well as French. This is the official Crit’Air site. Other sites do exist, but will charge more for the same, simple, service.

Each sticker, which is valid for the lifetime of the vehicle, costs - as of June 2019 - €3.11 plus postage.

For postage outside France to EU countries and Switzerland, the total cost is € 4.21.

For postage outside the European Union the total cost is € 4.41.

Those renting cars can’t buy a sticker, as you have to give the car details; hire companies should have stickers on their fleets, but it’s not guaranteed.

1 Like

Cheers Sam… that resumé in English will have helped all those whose French skills have deserted them in this heat… :slightly_smiling_face::wink:

The more info the merrier :hugs:

Tomorrow will be hotter … a day inside is called for ! :fire::fire::sweat::sweat::sweat: