Curry Queen

Waitrose’s ras el hanout is excellent, and very pretty because of the pieces of rose petals they include. I haven’t tried their curry powder but there are lots of reviews on the website.

1 Like

Do you ever go to Bordeaux? If so, I suggest doing some shopping at Eurasie. They have a great selection of curry powders and sauces, and it’s very competitively priced.

1 Like

And have breakfast/lunch/supper there too, the deli (Panya Thip) is fab. I think they are Laotian. They make great Viet coffee and everything is delicious, wonderful phò and bún bò, fab som tam,lovely cha xu buns and sticky rice in a banana leaf and many many more

3 Likes

Just the thought of viet coffee makes me drool… finished my last pack of beans ages ago. Let alone buns as my homemade attempts don’t really make the grade.

2 Likes

Not very good reviews on TripAdvisor.

Does anyone pay any attention to trip advisor? I’m assuming the TA review is for the traiteur.
I always eat something when I go and do my big shop there, it’s a canteen and they do the things I like very well.

1 Like

Presumably, as it’s Trip Advisor, it’s not referring to the supermarket side - which is where you’d buy curry powder from.

Like @vero, I’ve eaten at Panya Thip several times. I’ve always enjoyed it and found it to be great quality.

The Trip Advisor reviews seem good enough to me :person_shrugging:

Edit: just in case there’s any confusion, we’re talking about Eurasie in Bordeaux (more precisely at Bordeaux Lac). Inside Eurasie there’s a traiteur called Panya Thip. I’m not referring to the place in Mérignac.

1 Like

There’s also a couple of Indian supermarkets in the centre of Bordeaux. I remember looking them up a few months ago. Just looked again and there’s Eden and Indian Shop33. Can’t say if they’re any good.

1 Like

I should pay them a visit the next time I’m there. We have plenty of spices that arrive via an Indian friend in the UK, but we struggle to get decent poppadoms. Made the mistake of buying them on Amazon once - never again.

We’re running low as all our French friends we introduce them to as an apéro ask if we can share them with them… they go down a treat!

Our friend isn’t coming over for a few months and I’m not due back to the UK until late summer :sob:

I can think of more and more reasons to visit Bordeaux right now :- . Unfortunately my first trip back to the UK in nearly 3 years next week (feeling a bit scared, actually) is going to be so expensive the budget to do Bordeaux will have to wait for a while.

Please share if you find some. We are also out and a godsend for now GF DH!

1 Like

Just an idea, you could always ask the Indian places in Bx if they’re be willing to make a batch for you. With all the Brits in area I’m sure word’ll get round and be a nice little earner as ´Arfer Daly’, would say.

Can’t you make them? I haven’t tried, but it would be worth a shot?

1 Like

Never tried to actually make poppadoms before. Basically just gram flour I think, which you can get in lots of places. We just get poppadoms from the Indian supermarkets in Toulouse and cook them ourselves. The ones in Bordeaux should have them.

1 Like

Yeah I guess we could make them (when I say we I really mean my OH as she’s way better at cooking than me :grin:)… I’ll try the Indian supermarket in Bordeaux first though cause we seriously get through a lot of them. The neighbours devour 'em!

I just checked my Amazon history and the ones we bought were made by a company called TRS - I don’t recommend them, but we’ve bought their spices before which were good. The poppadoms we got from our friend in Luton are by a company called VB and are lovely :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Quite a skilled job making poppadoms… need some experience, thin and need to be rolled really thin

2 Likes

The TRS ones are different, and use a mix of urad and rice flour with not much else, and tend to be denser. The lighter ones tend to just use urad flour and have other ingredients, like the ones in the recipe @Corona posted. It depends on how you cook them as well.

DH attempted them, they were awful! So easy with the real ones in the microwave!

1 Like

My missus does them in a friteuse. It stinks a bit so we do them in batches. Didn’t know you can do them in the microwave too.

1 Like